"Was."

She waved a hand.

"And up until recently, need I remind you, I worked for the First Order. You failed to throw me in a cell."

"You're my son."

Ben narrowed his eyes. "Oh, so we're playing favorites now?"

The General did not look amused. "No--it's simply I know you better than that man that's sitting in our cell. I know how I raised you, what's in your heart."

Ben clenched his jaw. "And I'm telling you to trust me that General Hux is not a threat."

General Leia stood to her full height. She threw back her shoulders and glared. "You may be my son, but this is a matter of the Resistance. Incase you have forgotten, Kylo, we're at war."

Ben's nostrils flared.

"So he helped you in that one instance. My understanding from what Poe has told me, he was more or less coerced into the entire thing."

"I know he's not working for the First Order anymore!"

"I think you're forgetting who you are talking to. I am the General, and if you side with the Resistance I would like a little respect."

"Would you just listen to me?"

"Prove it," she spat. "Unless you have solid facts that I can trust him, he's staying in that cell."

"He saved us!"

Leia rolled her eyes. "He shot one stormtrooper. In self-defense."

"He shot him because the trooper shot me."

For a moment Leia looked at her son like he was crazy. "Alright... So he defended you out of some sort of misplaced loyalty from when you worked with the First Order."

Ben laughed sardonically. "That's not how our working relationship was with one another."

"Then explain it to me Ben, because you're not making sense. And perhaps more importantly, you're not giving me a reason to release him."

Leia crossed her arms. "Besides, while he hasn't exactly given us trouble, he also hasn't been willing to divulge any information regarding the First Order. If he were truly on our side, he would give us information."

"I never said he was with the Resistance," Ben said exasperatedly, "I just said you can trust him enough to not keep him locked up like an animal!"

The General rolled her eyes. "Okay, so he's a deserter at best."

"No! I mean--I don't know what he is, but he doesn't deserve to be in a holding cell!"

"You're not making sense." She glared. "Until you prove to me he should be released, he's staying in that cell."

"For how long?"

"Indefinitely."

Ben opened his mouth but slammed it shut. He growled audibly. Leia looked aghast. Pushing off the table, Ben glared and then stormed out of her makeshift office.

~

"General?"

General Leia lifted her head. Rey stood in the doorway. Setting down the bottle she had been drinking from, she smiled at the young woman.

"Good morning Rey. You're here bright and early."

Rey entered the room. She stood before Leia, briefly wringing her hands.