Chapter 8- I evade getting Hulk Smashed

Start from the beginning

We crept along the wall, then stepped out into an unfamiliar room. Not even a second after we had, the Hulk stepped out and roared in our faces. 

Natasha aimed up and shot a gas pipe, which started spewing gas into the Hulk's face long enough for us to make a break for it again, through a narrow tunnel of glass tubes. The Hulk followed close after, smashing all of them. I covered my head as glass and sparks rained down on us as the Hulk angrily chased us, relentlessly smashing everything in his path.

He let out a mighty roar as Natasha and I lept into another narrow tunnel, picking up speed. However, though we were running as fast as humanly possible, the Hulk still had the size advantage. He caught up with us, smacking us to the side with his giant fist and sending us sprawling into the wall. I felt my ribs screaming in pain as his muscular hand made contact with my side, then my back cracked terribly as I crashed into the wall.

Natasha, who seemed as weak as I was, attempted to crawl in front of me as the Hulk prepared to squash us like bugs. I gasped for air, praying that he would give up or turn back into Bruce, both of which I knew wouldn't happen.

Suddenly, something missile-like flew into the Hulk, smashing it through the wall and sending them into the other room.

Natasha stayed in front of me for about a full minute, waiting for the Hulk to burst back in, but it didn't. After a while, Natasha crawled off of me, and examined me, breathing heavy and sweating like crazy. I could feel the sweat on my face causing my hair to stick to my face and neck, so I couldn't judge.

"Are you okay?" she asked, her voice hoarse.

"Y-yeah," I replied.

"Good. That's all I needed to know,"

"A-are you o-okay?" I asked as she slumped down next to me, resting her head on my shoulder. 

"Mhmm," she replied.

"Are you s-sure?"

"Mhmm,"

There was a slight pause as we listened to the sound of things being smashed in the other room. I could tell Natasha wanted to help stop the Hulk, but she seriously needed the breather.

"Y-you saved my l-life," I said. 

"You saved mine," she responded.

"When?"

"You pulled my leg out from underneath that pole,"

"Oh. Right. I guess I did,"

Another pause. 

"Are you sure you're alright? Nothing broken?" Natasha asked. 

"N- not as far as I can tell," I answered. 

"Good,"

"Are you sure?"

"I've been in worse situations. Besides, you're the one we need alive," 

"We need you alive, too,"

"You know a lot about the Tesseract, and you're our best coder and hacker. There are more agents than me,"

"Not all of them are as good as you. None of them are as good as you,"

Natasha removed her head from my shoulder and cast me a small smile. "Thanks,"

"No, really, if you weren't there with me, I'd be dead," I agrued.

"You could've hacked your way out," Natasha joked.

"I'd need a computer for that,"

"You have a lot of them down here,"

"Yeah, but how do you hack away something in real life?"

"The same way you hack something that's in a computer,"

"...and how is that?"

"You work hard, memorize a couple of things, and deal with the problem at hand. That's what I do. That's how almost everything works,"

"I guess,"

She laughed softly just as our earpieces buzzed. 

"It's Barton. He took out our systems," Fury said over the radio. "He's headed for the detention level. Does anybody copy?"

Natasha hit her microphone. "This is Agent Romanoff. I copy,"

"Natasha, you can't, look at the state you're in-" I started to protest, but Natasha was already on her feet. 

"Stay here. Stay out of trouble. Don't engage in combat and get to a safe spot. Stay alive. Do you hear me?"

Since I was in no condition to stop her, I simply nodded as she ran off to go find Agent Barton.

A full minute passed. There were screams, explosions, the sound of glass breaking. I refused to move until I heard footsteps coming my way. I quickly crawled to a corner and curled up in a ball, praying that they wouldn't see me.

2 attackers came down the hall, talking. 

"They said she's down here," 

"Where?" 

"Search around. She can't be too far,"

I wasn't sure who they were talking about, but I wasn't ready to find out. Slowly, I started creeping towards the door, baby step after baby step. I was just a couple of inches away when one of them shouted, "THERE!"

I pulled my gun from its holster and fired at them, missing narrowly. Finally, one of my bullets landed in the first one's shoulder, causing him to get thrown off guard and catch another bullet with his stomach. I tried not to watch as he crumpled to the floor. 

I fired at the second one. He swung at me with his bat, attempting to knock me out. I just barely managed to dodge and put a bullet in his chest. 

Once I was sure both of them were dead, I glanced around, trying to catch my breath. 

Suddenly, a splitting pain came to my head, and the world went black.