***

Aaliyah rode past small houses, trees and mountains on her Vespa, the strong breeze blowing violently on her clothes and attempting to throw off the bag she carried. But she loved it; it was easier to find her way around the small town now that she didn't have to walk everywhere. She placed the bag which contained soups and different side dishes between her legs, the foods she had packed in a last-minute decision to take to Jason. She figured that since he was down with the flu, he would need something liquid and hot. She had also considered what he would eat since he would be taking his medication for a while. She hoped it didn't make her look silly, though. As soon as she got to the address written in a paper, she stepped on the brakes, driving to a halt.

Aaliyah blinked in awe as she stared at the house, glancing at the small paper in her hand to be sure she hadn't been mistaken. The ranch house was an impressive sight. It stood in a valley, surrounded by beautiful mountain ranges, and was in the midst of expansive lawns with a combination of wood and concrete patios that could be accessed from most of the entertainment spaces. The predominantly wooden exterior was accentuated by a panel of decorative stone walls that ran from the roof to the deck giving the entrance an added appeal.

Removing her helmet and placing it on the handle, she made her way up the driveway and walked through the front steps to the main entrance of the house. She knocked three times, firmly and a little urgently and waited for a reply, chewing her bottom lip nervously as she listened for any noise from within that would tell her he was there.

Nothing.

Aaliyah knocked again, louder and more insistent this time and after a long and almost unbearable silence, just when she was considering leaving the bag in the front porch, the door opened and Jason stood with a ghostly expression at the other side, looking quite miserable in a form fitting T-shirt and sweats with pale dry lips and sunken eyes. His usually gelled and spiky blond hair was unkempt, and that jaw he kept clean-shaven and smooth was lined with stubble. He looked terrible, and her heart went out to him.

"Lia?" he asked, clearly perplexed as to why she was standing at his doorstep. His voice was a croaked sound, and he cleared his throat twice.

"Hi," Aaliyah said a little sheepishly. "Um... I heard you were sick. Samantha needed to get Matthew, so I offered to pick up your medication and bring it to you."

"Thanks, but you didn't have to go through all that trouble." He cleared his throat again, coughing lightly before stepping aside to let her in.

The interior was as impressive as the exterior. Logwood room divisions maintained the ranch house appeal, making use of an open concept design which didn't completely enclose the rooms, but left spaces in between.

It was designed to generate warmth, from the living room which boasted of a fireplace functioning as the focal point of the room, to the enclosure formed by the woods. The fireplace was encased in an intricate flat stone framing, and in addition to generating warmth, it was also designed to ensure proper ventilation. The extra high ceilings of the rooms made them airy, enabling the rays of natural light to peep in through the windows, while maintaining the grand appearance of the ranch house.

"It's no trouble at all," Aaliyah said and turned to him, remembering that she had been asked a question. The beauty of the house had almost made her forget completely. "Samantha was busy and I didn't have any major plans going on this evening, so..." she stuttered, hoping he wouldn't see through her excuses and know that she had come because she had indeed been worried about him.

"You were worried about me, weren't you?" he asked softly, almost teasingly, that hoarseness in his voice making him sound... more attractive. She felt her cheeks heat up in embarrassment.