𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕. THE PENSIEVE

Start from the beginning

Don't say a word against our father! Harry's voice echoes.

The memory shows James looking back, smirking.

I don't wonder how he's my father. I have always been as mischievous as him. The thought makes me grin.

There's a glimpse of another memory, of my parents, older now, dancing and kissing. Sometimes it's hard to remember they were real. That they existed.

Most of the time they just feel like a figment of my imagination.

Servant and master shall be reunited once more, Trelawney's voice says, and the memory shows a crystal ball, her reciting the ever familiar prophecy about Harry and I.

And then there's darkness, and Voldemort's voice saying, Severus.

No, don't kill me! A bright light, and I see Snape on his knees. 

The prophecy did not refer to a woman. It's Dumbledore now, standing behind a kneeling Snape. Hogwarts is in the background. It spoke of children born at the end of July.

Snape is on his feet now, looking at Dumbledore with an expression of anguish on his face. Yes, but he thinks it's her children. He intends to hunt them down and kill them. Hide her, hide them all. I beg you.

What will you give me in exchange, Severus? Dumbledore asked, walking over to him. 

Anything

The scene changes again, this time to a house I've vaguely seen before. A house I've seen in pictures, and in dreams. Never memories.

Harry, Giovanna, you are so loved. So loved. Momma loves you. Daddy loves you.

There's two babies in the crib. There are tears on the babies' faces. Lily- Mum- is leaning over, whispering them- us.

Be safe, my children. Be strong.

Avada Kedavra!

A flash of green light. A scream. I close my eyes- I have seen this before. This scene has haunted me my whole life.

The scene changes again, this time to the office we stand in, only it's brighter and Dumbledore is here.

You said you would keep her safe, Snape says, tears in his eyes.

Lily and James put their faith in the wrong person, Severus. Rather like you.

Peter. Dumbledore's talking about Peter Pettigrew, who I would love to murder myself.

Dumbledore turned away from the window to look at Snape, who's voice is shaking. The children survives.

They don't need protection, the Dark Lord is gone!

The Dark Lord will return. When he does, the twins will be in terrible danger. Snape looks down, not wanting to deal with it.

He has her eyes. The boy twin.

Snape looks up. I scowl.

If you truly loved her...

The look on Snape's face is dangerous, and he points a finger at Dumbledore. No one can know.

I shall never reveal the best of you, Severus.

Your word.

The scene changes as the words continue. Snape in front of our house the night our parents died. Harry and I getting sorted.