Leavin'

"Leah, hurry it up! We got a schedule to keep to," Harriet reminded her.

Leah just laughed. "Oh, please. Considering what we're doing, I don't even see why we're packing."

One look from Harriet, and the smile fell off of Leah's fair face. Seeing the look in Leah's vibrant green eyes, Harriet sighed. "See, Leah? This is why I don't think you really want this. I know I do. This stupid town, this awful life - this is the only way. But I don't want to drag you into anything you'll regret. I mean... look around. This is the last time we'll see this house. This is it, Leah. This is permanent."

Smiling sadly, Leah put down her bags and walked around the car to Harriet. Gripping the other girl's shoulders, Leah looked her in the eye, green meeting brown, saying, "Harriet. I love you. If you're this intent on leaving, you're certainly not leaving me behind. I'm coming with you. So what if this way is crappy? If it's with you, its okay with me."

Harriet did not look one bit convinced. So, Leah continued. "This life will be even worse without you. I'll end up the same place you're goin'! So might as well go together, right?"

Sighing, Harriet took her girlfriend into a hug. Leah, always the smaller one, tucked Harriet's shoulder under her chin, just like she did whenever they hugged. "I guess I can't convince you out of this, can I?" Harriet said.

"Not any more than I can convince you out of it." Leah replied, her voice thick with conviction and certainty. This was what they both wanted. Both were tired of being hated and discriminated against because of their sexuality. Because of this discrimination, neither could find a job anywhere. Their house was bankrupt, and their old, battered, red truck was falling to pieces. They had made this decision together.

They broke the hug, loading bags of their most prized possesions into the back of the truck. Boxes of pictures, momentos, scrapbooks, and basically anything that held meaning to the two was loaded into the truck. Forget about clothes and toiletries and other necessities. They would not need them where they were headed.

Leah hopped into the passenger seat, eyes alight with emotion. Harriet followed, ducking into the driver's seat, her eyes dark with a different kind of emotion. A more solemn emotion.

Harriet and Leah took one last look at their house. This was the house they had chosen together, after both of their families had ostracized them after their coming out. They need not leave a note of any kind, no hint of where they had gone, for they were all that they had left. Leah sniffed.

Looking over at her friend, Harriet saw that Leah was crying. She did not understand this. They were leaving everything that had ever hurt them behind. They were going to spend the rest of their lives together. No one would ever hurt them again. "Why are you crying?"

Smiling, Leah turned to Harriet. "Because I'm finally going to be happy. After years and years of being shunned for who I am, I'm finally going to a place where I'm gonna be accepted. And even better," Leah reached to take Harriet's hand. "I'm going to that place with you."

Harriet returned the smile. "Then let's get going."

The drive to their destination was quiet. Leah never let go of Harriet's hand. Both knew what the other was thinking. A solemn repitition of, I can't wait.

Trees passed as Leah and Harriet left the outskirts of their little, suburban town. A slowly dwindling amount of cars and buildings went by. They were getting close, both girls' anticipation growing with every passing second. This was it.

A cliff was up ahead. Harriet manuvered the car near it, then stepping on the brakes. Neither girl looked at the other, both simply staring at the gorgeous sunset before them.

The sunset bathed everything in sight in an orange glow. The sky was steadily growing different colors, all shades of lavender, magenta, pink, mauve, orange. The Grand Canyon sat before Leah and Harriet. And it was beautiful.

Leah broke the silence. "I love you, Harriet," she said, looking over at her.

Harriet turned to meet Leah's gaze. "I love you, too, Leah."

She bent over to Leah and gave her a kiss. Both relished the feel of the other's skin on their own. They were puzzle pieces, made for each other. This puzzle's picture just was not one that the world approved of.

They broke the kiss, faces still inches apart. Eyes roamed over the other's face, memorizing all the features that they already knew. The little freckle near her eye. The brunette curl she always kept looped behind one ear. They were perfect for each other.

Surprising Harriet, Leah wrapped her arms around Harriet's waist, nuzzling her head into her shoulder. Just where she belongs, thought Harriet.

"Why?" Harriet questioned softly.

"If we're really doing this, I'll be in your arms, and you'll be in mine, just like it's supposed to be." Leah answered, one last tear shining on her cheek.

Harriet kissed Leah's soft, blond hair. "Ok," she smiled.

Ever the adrenaline junkie, Harriet whooped as she stepped on the gas, driving both of them towards the cliff. The world moved in slow motion for both. Sunlight glinted off of everything, the world suddenly beautiful. Butterflies danced in their stomachs, sweat gathered on their palms. Harriet's whoop of delight was the only sound audible over the roar of the truck's engine.

This is it, they both thought for the nth time. No turning back.

Leah turned up her head to Harriet's, her green eyes shining with tears, not matching the smile lighting up her face. Harriet's brown eyes stared back, both seeing each other for the last time. I love you, she mouthed. Harriet mouthed it back.

Leah joined in her whoop of delight, arms letting go of Harriet and launching into the truck above her.

The truck neared the edge.

Harriet grabbed Leah one last time, smashing their lips together.

Both felt the ground drop out beneath them.

Suddenly, they were falling, falling.

This is it, both thought, lips still against each other. W'e're finally leavin'.