Soon the pair arrived at the castle and were admitted inside. The pair were then lead down a hallway by Matilda to Sophie’s bed chamber.  Matilda knocked on the door, a dishevelled Mark answered, “Dr. Wilson, I am so glad you are here.”

“How has the Princess been?” Dr. Wilson inquired still standing in the doorway. Mark glanced at Jessica.

“This is Jessica Boyd Your Highness; she is helping carry things to and from the castle. Do not worry about her, she won’t be any trouble.”

Mark smiled at Jessica and invited them both inside, telling them that Sophie was feeling better than she had been last night but was still complained of a massive headache.

“That’s not out of the ordinary when someone bumps their head.” Dr. Wilson said, coming to Sophie’s bedside.

Dr. Wilson felt for a fever, checked her blood pressure, heart rate and her arm. All seemed normal; he reported his findings to Mark.

“So no infection has set in?” Mark asked.

“No, not yet, though I don’t think we are out of the woods, sometimes it takes infection two or three days to set in.”

Dr. Wilson called Jessica, who had been standing silently by the door, over to Sophie’s bedside and requested the cough syrup. Just as Jessica was handing over the medicine, she saw Sophie’s eyes flicker. No one else had noticed. Sophie’s hand stirred and grazed Jessica’s.

As Dr. Wilson tried to feed Sophie the cough syrup, Sophie seized Jessica’s hand. This time Mark and Dr. Wilson noticed.  The doctor took the medicine filled spoon away from Sophie’s face. Sophie coughed, some salvia spluttered onto her face, Dr. Wilson wiped it away.

Sophie, through half closed eyes, directed her gaze at Jessica. Sophie in a hoarse whisper asked her name.

Jessica hesitated, not knowing whether to answer. Mark nodded at her to respond.

“My name is Jessica Your Highness.”

“That’s a charming name.” Sophie whispered faintly.

Jessica smiled at Sophie, “I hope you feel better soon Princess. Everyone is really excited to have you here.”

Sophie beamed back, “Thank you Miss.”

Jessica and Sophie conversed for a few minutes while Dr. Wilson talked with Mark. Jessica told Sophie that there was going to be town dance in a week and that if she was feeling up to it she should come. Sophie said she would ask her father. Sophie was actually quite excited at the prospect of the idea of going to a town dance, which she thought must be dissimilar from a ball; she asked Jessica if the dance was formal.

“No, Princess, everyone shows up with a bowl or plate of food and we all eat, dance and laugh until the wee hours of the morning.”

Sophie was now convinced she should attend this dance as it sounded much more fun than any of them she had gone to recently.

Mark, who had overheard the girls conversation told them that Sophie may go, provided she was feeling better.

“I’ll ask my brother if he’ll dance with you, he’s the best dancer in the entire village.”

Sophie told Jessica she would love to dance with her brother.

The girls giggled in anticipation. Sophie enjoyed the fact that Jessica treated her like a normal person, not at all like some sort of goddess.

Soon Jessica and Dr. Wilson had to leave. This came just at the right moment as Sophie felt exhausted.

The doctor accompanied Jessica all the way to her little house.

“Thank you for cheering up the Princess. I believe that she needed it greatly. Come by my office tomorrow and I’ll give you something for your help.”

“Thanks Dr. Wilson. I appreciate you taking me.”

The doctor smiled and left. Jessica bolted into her house and told her mother, father and brother of her experience.

Afterwards, Jessica’s mother told her she had performed a good deed.

“Yes, yes, but did you heard the part where I said that she may come to the town dance next week!”

Jessica’s brother, Colin said that they had all heard it.

“Aren’t any of you excited?”

“Of course we are dear!” Jessica’s father assured her.

“I am not.” Colin muttered.

“Princess Sophie won’t dance with you if you’re going to be that rude.”

“Who says she would dance with me anyway?” Colin asked.

Jessica smirked, “The Princess did.”

Colin spit out his piece of bread, “The Princess said she would dance with me?”

“When I asked her she did.”

Colin gasped, “You asked her dance with me? Jessica!”

“I told her you were the best dancer in the village. You should be thanking me.” Jessica said, sticking out her tongue.

Colin and Jessica’s father patted Colin on the back, “Well done son! Princess Sophie is very good looking.”

“The best looking of her generation I’d say.” Cornelia, the pair’s mother commented.

Colin glared at Jessica though he was secretly elated, he did find Princess Sophie rather attractive. Not to mention how jealous Tom would be when he wrote and told him he was going to dance with the Princess.

The family returned to their meal but after a couple minutes of silence Jessica asked about Sophie’s mother, “I didn’t see the Princess’s mother today. Mama, do you know where she is?”

Cornelia looked to her husband, Noah, he nodded at her.

“Princess Sophie doesn’t have a mother Jessica. She-”

“Her mother was killed my pneumonia she acquired after saving her.” Colin interjected.

“Colin!” Cornelia spat.

“What? It’s the truth.” Colin defended himself.

Noah turned to Jessica, “You must be careful not to bring this up if you are around the Princess.”

“Why?” Jessica asked innocently.

“Because it is widely thought that Princess Sophie doesn’t know the real reason for her mother’s death.” Cornelia informed her.

The rest of the meal was silent, soon Noah and Colin returned to their pastures. Cornelia asked for Jessica’s help with some mending.

“I don’t see why the Princess shouldn’t know.” Jessica whispered, taking the dress that needed to be hemmed from her mother.

Cornelia met Jessica’s gaze, “Neither do I.”