always will : twenty-nine

ship: wolfstar [remus lupin + sirius black]

words: 917

universe: canon

other: not necessarily canon-compliant

*this has a scene from the poa movie, that belongs to jkr and is not mine, but i wanted to add it to the plot*

october 21st, 1981

"Hey, Sirius?" Remus asked hesitantly.

"Mmm?" Sirius mumbled from his place on Remus' lap.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure,"

"What if- what if we got married?" Remus asked, looking down at Sirius.

"What?"

"What if we got married?"

"Like- like husband and husband?"

Remus nodded as Sirius sat up to face him.

"So, what do you say?" Remus asked nervously.

"Moony, if you're asking me to marry you, you're gonna need to do it the right way for a response," Sirius said, grinning.

Remus rolled his eyes slightly, but he got up from their couch and got down on one knee in front of Sirius.

"Sirius, will you marry me?" he asked.

"Come on Moony, you could be at least a little more convincing."

"Sirius, will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?"

"More love, Remus. More conviction!" Sirius said.

Remus rolled his eyes and grabbed the collar of Sirius' shirt, pressing his lips to his.

"Yes," Sirius muttered when they finally pulled away.

Remus smiled. "I love you."

"I love you, too. I always will."

october 30th, 1981

"Hi, Remus! Hi, Sirius!" Lily said as two of her closest friends came through the door, Harry on her hip.

"Hey, Lily! Harry!" Sirius said, taking Harry from Lily.

"Where's James?" Remus asked.

"Bathroom," Lily said.

Suddenly, as if on cue, James came around the corner.

"Moony! Padfoot!" James said, excitedly hugging his friends. "How are you?"

"We're good," Remus said, glancing at Sirius. "We, erm, have some news."

"We're- we're getting married," Sirius said.

"Congratulations!" Lily yelled, almost immediately. "That's amazing!"

James ran a hand through his hair, a big grin on his face. "That's amazing. I'm so happy for you guys," he said.

Sirius and Remus exchanged a look, both grinning widely. They were engaged. They loved each other and nothing could change that or come between them now.

november 21st, 1981

One month. It had been one month since Remus had proposed to Sirius. In that one month, everything had changed.

The day after they announced it to James and Lily, they died. They died, Peter died, and Sirius- Sirius had betrayed them.

Or so everyone thought.

Remus couldn't believe it. He wouldn't believe it. Not Sirius, not the Sirius he knew. The Sirius he knew would do anything for his friends. The Sirius he knew loved him, and Remus loved him too.

Sirius was currently sitting in his cell in Azkaban all alone, crying to himself.

It had been one month since Remus had proposed. One month. They were going to get married and be together forever.

But now they couldn't.

"I'm sorry," he muttered. "I'm sorry James. I'm sorry Lily. Remus, I'm sorry. I love you. I love you. I always will," he muttered to himself over and over. "I'm so sorry."

june 6th, 1993

Suddenly Snape burst through the door of the Shrieking Shack.

"Oh, vengeance is sweet. How I hoped to be the one to catch you," he said, glaring at Sirius.

"Severus-" Remus began, but Snape cut him off.

"I told Dumbledore you were helping an old friend into the castle and now, here's the proof."

"Brilliant, Snape. Once again you've put your keen and penetrating mind to the task and as usual, come to the wrong conclusion," Sirius shot back. "Now if you'll excuse us, Remus and I have some unfinished business to attend to."

Snape stepped forward, pointing his wand at Sirius.

"Give me a reason, I beg you."

"Severus, don't be a fool," Remus begged.

"He can't help it, it's habit by now."

"Sirius be quiet!" Remus snapped.

"Oh, quiet yourself, Remus!"

"Oh, listen to you two, quarreling like an old married couple," Snape drawled.

"Well actually, we're not married. We're still engaged, aren't we, Moony?" Sirius asked, smiling in spite of the situation.

Severus forced his wand closer to Sirius' face, but he didn't flinch.

Remus smiled faintly but warned, "Sirius, now is not the time to be discussing this."

"Yes, it is! I need to know you haven't moved on from me,"

"One more word and I'll do it," Severus threatened.

Suddenly, Harry, Hermione, and Ron all yelled "Expelliarmus" at once, sending Severus flying backward and landing unconscious.

"What are you talking about?" Harry demanded, seemingly unfazed having just attacked a teacher.

"Sirius, come on. We owe them an explanation. We owe Harry an explanation. He- he needs to know what happened," Remus said softly.

Sirius gazed into Remus' eyes and nodded.

"Alright. But once we're done, we're finishing this conversation. I need to know."

---

Sirius walked away from Harry, going to stand next to Remus.

"Remember when we told them? It was the day before."

Remus nodded. He relieved that memory every day for the past twelve years. He was so happy. And then he wasn't. It had all changed so quickly.

"I remember."

"It helped keep me sane. It helped keep me alive. Knowing- knowing that you were still out there, that I needed to find my way back to you," Sirius said.

"It helped keep me sane, too. I always knew you were the person I thought you were. I didn't believe what anyone else said. I loved you," Remus said.

"Loved?" Sirius asked, disappointment evident in his voice.

"Loved. Past tense. But also present tense. I loved you, I still love you, and I always will."

Sirius smiled a real, genuine smile for the first time in twelve years, the first time since October 30th, 1981.

"I love you too, Remus. Always have, always will."

published: april 17, 2021

edited: january 6, 2021