dusk & dawn

She walked the pier at dawn and dusk that day. Her house was a solid twenty minutes away but she still made the trip. At dawn, she walked with another, his arm around her shoulders and his fingers touching her softly. She swayed with the heavy winds, but he helped steady her. At dawn, they walked to the end and sat with their legs hanging over the edge. He kissed her forehead as she pushed herself into his chest.

No words were said. The only sound was the waves crashing into themselves, repeating the same things over and over again. Birds squawked as they dove into the water and fought for the plastic wraps they mistook for food littering the pier.

The sun continued to rise over the horizon. The water reflected the blinding rays into their eyes, but they continued to sit silently. The sun created warmth. It competed with his arms for her heart.

Her soul threatened to leave and never return. It followed through, leaving her empty, keeping true to its promise. By the time she was capable of developing memories, her soul had already left. Even in this warm, comforting moment, she still felt void.

She felt nothing, but he felt everything.

His soul had never left him, no matter his hardships. It was loyal, unlike him. When he was fifteen, he experienced his first heartbreak, and he felt everything. All the pain, the happiness, the sense of loss. All he did was feel, and in this moment, all he could feel was her absence.

Dusk was different.

At dusk, she walked alone, tears streaming down her face. The sun's absence imitated him. It imitated her fathers, her mothers, and now her boyfriends.

At dusk, her soul returned and suddenly every feeling she's missed since it left, came crashing down on her. Memories she forgot about, forced themselves into her mind.

At dusk, she sat at the pier's edge, thinking deeply about her life. She questioned herself and the people she surrounds herself with.

She questioned why she let anyone treat her like this, why she was incapable of doing things herself.

At dusk, her soul threatened her life. But she knew she was stronger.

After dusk, she left the pier feeling powerful. Damaged and exhausted, but still powerful.