ten

Your classes went by impossibly slowly, as evidenced by the little indents in your fingers left by your pencil, or the circular marks in your erasers from the lead, or the doodles littered around the margins of your notes.

It was years, centuries, eons, before the bell finally rang for lunch. Even in the hallway, which was full of shoulder-to-shoulder students making their way to their lockers, you could hear the quickened rhythm of your heartbeat reverberating through your ear drums. Was the elevated pace due to excitement, or nervousness? You took a long swig from your water bottle in an attempt to dampen your dry throat. It was time to meet with Tooru.

Your eyes stayed glued to your feet for the duration of the short trek to your normal lunch spot. There was no way you could eat, so you didn't bother taking the food from your locker or bringing money to buy from the cafeteria. It felt as though there was a rock resting at the very base of your stomach as is - food consumption was simply not an option.

You sat beneath the shade of the maidenhair tree, whose leaves were now turning yellow as the weather grew colder. A sharp, chilly breeze blew through the air, and you pulled your hands into the sleeves of your school-issued crewneck to keep warm. You took your earbuds out of your pocket and put them in your ears, since music always seemed to be able to calm you down, even when you were at your worst.

As the first few notes of your favourite song chimed through your head, your heart rate began to slow. You closed your eyes, un-clenched your fists, dropped your shoulders and took smooth, steady breaths. Eventually, you felt as though you were back to normal.

That is, until someone yanked on the cord of your earbuds. An all-too-familiar voice pierced through your previous calm:

"Hey hey, y/n-chan! Whatcha listening to?"

You simply looked at him, eyebrows knit together in confusion, but also surprise, since he did sneak up on you.

"Nothing," you retort, slight poison lacing your words.

Did you really hate him, or did you just tell yourself you did?

Despite the clear annoyance in your voice, Oikawa seemed unbothered, "How have you been doing lately? I feel like we never talk anymore!"

You despised his constant upbeat attitude, his perpetual smile, his extroverted personality. Maybe you were the slightest bit jealous, as well - after all, you could only stand a few minutes of social interaction before you felt emotionally drained. This guy's social battery seemed to never run out.

You decide to respond with a simple, "I'm okay." All of your conversations are so redundant. What was the point in even talking to this boy? There was no variety in discussion topics, no shared interests, no real connection whatsoever. "Why did you ask me here again?" You ask, wondering why the hell Tooru felt the need to drag you back into his life, time and time again.

"Oh, well, I was just wondering...," he looks down at his hands, and then back up at you, "god, I didn't expect to be so nervous."

You stared back at him. What could he have been on about? Some cruel joke? Some prank set up by his friends, so he could look cool? Cut off all ties he could have possibly had with this poor, new girl?

"Do you want to go out for dinner with me next week?"

In all honesty, you were a little taken aback. Tooru Oikawa, ladies' man of Seijoh, surrounded by adoring fans at any given point, desired by every girl in the school, wanted to ask you out?

This had to be a joke.

"No, not really," you said, before getting up and preparing to walk back to your locker.

"Wait, what?"

"I said no. What, are you not used to hearing that?" You replied, your confidence beginning to grow, just a little bit.

"Well-"

Before he could continue his sentence, you cut him off: "I'll see you around,Great King." Your voice got slightly higher as you mocked his fans. They had adopted that name for him after hearing it used by some opposing team earlier in the volleyball season. And on that note, you sauntered away, proud of the ounce of confidence you gained from the interaction.

Although you felt a little bit remorseful for hurting his feelings, those thoughts quickly went away when you imagined the confused look on his face - This boy had very likely never heard the word "no" in his life. A smug smile tugged at the corners of your mouth. You returned your earbuds to your ears, and didn't look back.

*****

Hey look I know it's a short chapter and I haven't updated in a while I just reallyyyy wanted to get some content out for you guys! I know you've been waiting for it, haha

About that, though, I'm sorry that I don't update as regularly as promised. I am super stressed with university applications and school and my own personal problems so this story has kind of been on the back burner, but I will do my best to upload as often as I can. I love you all, thank you for understanding <3

-Rachel