Chapter 3: With the Butterflies

Through the next year, Ryujin's father begins his frequent trips back to America. It starts off with just three days just twice a month maybe, and Ryujin knew it was only a matter of time before her father doesn't return home at all.

She's right.

Her father tells her that he's been promoted and he's being transferred back to America. He doesn't ask Ryujin if she'd like to come along to America. Maybe he knows Ryujin wouldn't say yes, probably not, though.

He packs his clothes, leaves the ones her mother bought for him, and moves out just three weeks later on a Friday night. He tells her to fax over any forms he has to sign, any bills or taxes he has to pay. There's a credit card and debit card in her hand just a moment later, and he says he'll give her money every month. His "I love you" scrapes through the air as he presses a kiss onto the crown of her head. He says he'll visit. Ryujin hopes he will, but Ryujin thinks he won't.

He leaves with a luggage full of his belongings, and a suitcase. Ryujin doesn't see him off at the airport, because he shuts the door behind him, and Ryujin feels so incredibly alone when she turns, and all she sees is the still furniture.

Lia receives a call from a sobbing Ryujin just a moment later, and Lia wastes no time in bringing over a tub of ice cream and a bunch of her clothes. The ice cream tastes bittersweet, and she's still sobbing as she scoops ice cream into her mouth. Lia's chuckling but it's more comforting than mocking, because Lia presses a gentle peck on her temple.

Ryujin smiles, tears slowing to a halt a little after, and they're halfway through Finding Nemo when the doorbell rings. Lia pries herself away from Ryujin's hold to open the door. A moment later, Ryujin finds herself seated across from Lia, eating home-cooked dishes from Lia's maids.

"Ryujinie," Lia calls, gaining Ryujin's attention from her plateful of food, "Do you want to move into my house?"

"We can share a room. Or you could take one of the spare rooms we have," Lia explains quickly before Ryujin could even react, "So you won't be lonely."

It's only natural for Ryujin to say no, thanking Lia for the offer – she doesn't want to trouble the family, though Ryujin seems like their second daughter. They've always been fond of Ryujin– the first friend Lia's ever made, talked about and brought home. But troubling someone isn't in Ryujin's nature.

Ryujin falls asleep to Lia's soft breathing and murmur of 'goodnight, Ryujinie' and wakes up the same way. Lia's eyes are already open when Ryujin opens hers, and Lia seems to have been staring at Ryujin. Lia's mutter of good morning almost passes without Ryujin responding because the sunlight filters through Ryujin's blinds, casting soft stripes of shadows and light against Lia's features and makes Lia look like an angel with a golden halo and glowing eyes.

Lia's most probably the most beautiful girl in the world.

"You feeling better?"

Lia's voice is soft and lilting – almost as much as how Ryujin thinks Lia's lips would be.

"Yeah," Ryujin smiles, voice rough from sleep – she can't figure out if her eyes are swollen from all the crying she did yesterday, "Thanks to you."

Lia chuckles, squeezing at the skin of Ryujin's waist– Ryujin wonders if she had her hand there the entire night, "It's what you do for the people you love, isn't it? Making sure they're happy. It's my job– making sure you're happy."

They don't get out of bed until two hours later, with cereal for breakfast and sunlight filtering through the glass windows.

Ryujin watches the way Lia scoops the cereal into her mouth with her pinky held up as if they're at a classy tea party, she smiles because it's just so incredibly Lia, and Ryujin thinks Lia really does make her happy. Lia makes Ryujin happy with the simplest antics, and with just being Lia.