Chapter 16

The tires of the car screeched to a halt as Dean stopped the car in front of an old house. The three of us threw off our seatbelts and jumped from the car. There was a shiny jeep parked in front of us. Sarah stepped out and half ran up to us.

"Sam, what's happening?"

"I told you, you shouldn't have come." He told Sarah.

"Enough with the couple's spat. Fight later." I shoved Sam forward and transitioned into a run up the stairs to the front door of the house. Dean reached the door first and banged on the door.

"Anybody home?" He yelled.

"You said Evelyn might be in danger. What kind of danger?"

"I can't knock this sucker down." Dean pounded one last time on the door. "I gotta pick it."

"I'll check for open windows." I offered, and Sam nodded.

"What are you guys, burglars?" Sarah continued to ask questions.

"I wish it were that simple." Sam grit his teeth in frustration. "Look, you really should wait in the car."

"The hell I will, Evelyn's a friend!" Sarah yelled. Dean managed to open the front door and the rest of us followed him inside.

The entire house was dark. Sarah and Sam both called Evelyn's name, but neither got a response. I reached for my flashlight, but Dean caught my wrist and shook his head. We turned a corner and saw the old woman sitting in a chair. It had a tall back, so all we could see was the upper part of the back of her head.

"Evelyn?" Sarah approached the woman from behind. "It's Sarah Blake. Are you alright?"

"Sarah, don't!" Sam exclaimed as Sarah reached to touch the woman's shoulder. "Sarah!"

His warning was too late. A scream ripped from Sarah's mouth as Evelyn's head tipped back until it was clear it had been cut clean off her neck. Sam wrapped an arm around her and I looked up to the painting.

"Dean, look." I pointed to the painting. Isaiah's head had been facing the little girl when we walked in, but somewhere along the way it had moved again. His position had changed to match the picture from the library. He was staring straight out.

"I see it." Dean nodded, ushering me out of the house behind Sam and Sarah. "I see it. We gotta go."

***

We had driven back to our motel room. None of us knew what to do. We had burned the painting, and as far as we knew, the bones of the family had been cremated long before.

"Hey." Sam opened the door and Sarah came rushing in. "You okay?"

"No, actually." She found a place to stand inside before turning to glare at us. "I just lied to the cops and told them I went to Evelyn's alone and found her like that."

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me!" Sarah snapped at Sam.

"Alright." I shrugged. "No thank you."

"Funny, but not the time." Dean told me.

"I'll call them right back and tell them the truth, unless you tell me what the hell is going on." Sarah warned us. "Who is killing these people? Who killed Evelyn?"

"What."

"What?"

"What what!" I whooped quietly, both my brothers shot me exasperated looks. "I know, I know. Funny, but not the time. Just trying to lighten the mood."

"Well, then." Sarah cleared her throat. "What did that mean, Sam?"

"It's not who's killing." Sam glanced between Dean and I. "It's what is killing those people."

"Sarah, you saw that painting move." I closed my eyes. "I know you did. We all saw it."

"No." She turned away from us. "No, I was seeing things. It's impossible."

"Yeah, well, welcome to our world." Dean half smiled at her.

"One way ticket to crazy town."

"Sarah, I know this sounds crazy, but we think that painting is haunted." Sam tried to be calming.

"You're joking." Sarah's eyes welled up with tears as she searched our faces for humor.

"No." I pursed my lips. "No, we joke a lot. Never about this stuff."

"You're... not joking." Sarah sighed. "God, the guys I go out with."

"Sarah, think about it." Sam stepped towards her. "Evelyn, the Telescas-- they both had this painting when they were killed. And there were others before them. Wherever this thing goes, people die."

"We're trying to stop it." I added, but shut up when Sam shot me a look. Apparently this was a private conversation between Sarah and Sam. Dean and I were just spectators.

"Well, I guess you'd better show me." Sarah shook her head at Sam. "I'm coming with you."

"What? No." Sam shook his head. "Sarah, no. You should just go home. This stuff can get dangerous and... and I don't want you getting hurt."

"Look, you guys are probably crazy." Sarah said. "No offence."

"None taken."

"But on the off chance that you're right about this, when me and my dad sold that painting, we might have gotten these people killed. I'm not saying I'm not scared as hell, 'cause I am scared as hell, but I'm not gonna run and hide."

None of us spoke. We just stared as Sarah shrugged her jacket back on before walking out of the room.

"So, we going or what?" She shut the door after her.

"Sam..." Dean said after Sarah left. "...marry that girl."

"My thoughts exactly." I nodded. "That is sister in law material."