The Party

Despite my reservations, I attended the Halloween party with Jack. It was a miracle that we were invited, but I forgot that Brittany always invited people in her class and above to seem cool. I would make the best of it and have fun. Jack decided to go as a skeleton and I went as a vampire. I'll have to admit it was kind of fun to put the skeleton makeup on Jack, it was hard to keep from laughing. "You owe me pizza after this!" Jack shouted in agony when I accidentally poked him in the eye with the brush I was using. "Domino's or Little Caesar's?" I asked like I was about to make an important decision. "We'll see, just get me through this torture!" he squeezed his eyes shut so I wouldn't poke up in the eye again. 

      We rode in his truck to Brittany's house, and just seeing it showed how extravagant this party was going to be. There were orange and purple lights on the roof, creepy Halloween creatures moving menacingly in the night, and there was a fog machine making the scene look like something out of Halloween movie.  A low rumble of the song Spooky Scary Skeletons was playing from the house, and that told me how loud they were playing the music. "Ready for the army of Barbies?" I asked Jack humorously. "Ready as I'll ever be." Jack answered in mock fear. He always found a way to make me laugh. We got out of the car and made our way inside. 

         Inside Brittany's house were so many people from our class. They were dressed as popular movie characters, classic Halloween costumes, video game characters, and basically anything else you could think of. Brittany was talking to one of the football players and she was dressed as a fairy princess; she wore a bright blue dress with silver glittery wings and wore a diamond encrusted tiara. She looked towards me and Jack, and she grinned the fakest grin I've ever seen. Brittany skipped towards us and gave both of us hugs. "Millie! Jack! I'm so glad you came!" she said that in a way that sounded condescending. "Thanks for inviting us." I said with my teeth clenched in a smile. "So, you still in to your urban legends?" she looked at me like I had something on my face. "Yeah, it's interesting." I said trying not to lose my temper. "If you find it so interesting, then you and Jack should spend the night in the Siren Head Woods." she dared. The entire party went completely silent at the dare. "Don't do it!" someone yelled frantically. "No one has ever survived." "You'll run into Siren Head!" "What's the matter, Millicent? Too scared?" Brittany mocked pretending to cry. 

Siren Head was the one creature I wanted to find, and this would be the chance to find it. 

I don't know where the bravado came from, but I took Jack's hand and said, "Come on, we have a monster to find."