The End

I go back to my room to collect my belongings but find that I have nothing left to take except for Sarah's mockingjay pin. They drive us through the streets and to the train station. We barely have time to say goodbye to Cinna and Portia. Then, the train begins moving and I put my hand on the window, watching Cinna's disappearing figure.

As the Capitol grows smaller in the distance, I let out a breath I've been holding since the reaping.

"How about dinner?" Shawn asks. He and Effie were accompanying us back to District 12.

We feast like royalty, making small talk and cracking jokes as if we were a dysfunctional family.

"I did not appreciate your manners in the cave." Effie scolds Riley, causing the rest of us to erupt in laughter. I chuckle, remembering the girl's deliberate licking of her plate.

"Sorry Effie, I thought I'd give you a shout out." The baker girl says sheepishly.

"You know, Riley, I knew your father." Shawn says casually after the humorous mood died down.

"You did? Why didn't you ever say anything?" She asks in disbelief.

"I didn't make the connection at first. Matthews is a common last name, you know. But then you were talking about your uncle Josh and I realized your father is Cory." He says.

"Were you guys friends?" I ask.

"Once upon a time, yes. But things changed after I got reaped. I pushed everyone away when I came back." Shawn says and I realize this was the most we've ever learned about him. He was finally opening up a little to us. Maybe Riley's idealized depiction of the three of us living in the Victor's Village wasn't that far off.

We eventually finish our food and I excuse myself to change out of my dress. As I put on a plain shirt and pants and wash the makeup from my face, I start to see my old self again. Maya Hart. A girl who lives in the Seam, hunts in the woods, and trades in the black market.

When the train makes a stop for fuel, Riley and I go outside for some fresh air. We walk down the track, hand in hand.

"Are you ready to go back?" She asks me.

It's funny how going home was all I could think about when this all first started but now the idea seemed foreign to me. I tell her exactly this and she nods back, understanding.

"And what about us?" Riley asks.

"Well, what about us?" I say back.

"What are we?"

I smile, turning to face her and cup her face. "I already told you. You're my extraordinary relationship."

"That takes a lot of effort to say every time. How about we just call each other girlfriends?" She says back cheekily.

I drop my hands, rolling my eyes. "Is that your way of asking me out?"

"Maybe. What's your answer?"

"I've had my tongue down your throat too many times to count on one hand, so what do you think?"

"Girlfriends it is. Wow, Maya Hart is my girlfriend. I could get used to saying that."

At this point we've walked way past the end of the train. Here, there surely would be no hidden cameras. I open my mouth to finally talk about the berry incident, but Shawn beats me to it. He pops up out of nowhere, laying a hand on my back.

"Good job, you two. I can't believe I ever doubted Maya, she had literal heart eyes for you, Riley." He chuckles.

"What are you talking about?" Riley asks, tilting her head in confusion.