chapter one

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AIKOput your records on - corinne bailey rae

put your records on - corinne bailey rae

The rising sun dawned upon the quiet morning of the city, casting a pinkish hue across the blank open sky. Some of the sunlight had poured into a small room peeking through the open curtain, illuminating the darkness that once occupied the place. Located right in the middle of the room, a sleeping figure continues to lightly snore yet heavily dream of fighting off imaginary villains in her subconscious.

Nonetheless, the peaceful morning was disrupted by the sound of small footsteps running across the wooden floor, followed by a high-pitched scream.

"Happy birthday, Aiko onee-chan! It's your birthday, good morning!" A small hand jumped onto the end and grabbed the sleeping figure's fingers before attempting to drag the pitiful person to their dining room.

"Give me a break...it's not even seven in the morning..." she groaned in annoyance, pulling away from the small boy and his futile attempts before pulling the blanket over her face.

"Nooo! Mommy made chocolate chip pancakes, onee-chan! Hurry!" He grabbed her fingers again with an agitated pout. The older girl widened her eyes and sat upright, stomach growling at the mention of food.

"Chocolate chip pancakes? Say less, little brother," she stated before rushing down to their dining room, with her little brother trailing behind in excitement. The two stopped to see their mother who had just set the table for their mini celebration.

"Aiko, darling, happy 18th birthday," her mother's voice spoke in tranquility. Aiko could never get tired of hearing her mother's voice. Her mother, Hayato Uta, had never raised her voice at their family nor has she spoken in any rude or cold tone - Aiko always believed since young that her mother was an angel in disguise.

"Good morning mom, and thank you. So, pancakes?" Aiko replied in a rush, her stomach begging to taste the warm food on the plate. She rushed to her designated seat, grabbing the utensils hastily as she watched her mother serve her breakfast.

"Help yourself, dear. I can't believe you're turning 18! It feels like time is passing way too fast for you. I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday," her mother continued, giggling at the memory of her firstborn child.

"Mom~ you say that every year, will it kill you to - i don't know, stop embarrassing me?" Aiko replied. She could feel her blood rushing to the apples of her cheeks as she bit down on her piece of pancake.

"Mom! What about me? Do you remember mine?" Ryo asked. Natsume Ryo was 13 years younger than Aiko - only at 5 years old but he is smarter than an average kid his age. He has always been curious about every little thing, from how quirks were created and formed to atomic particle theory that even Aiko had a hard time understanding.

"You were harder to bear than your older sister, my baby. You kept kicking me every single night like you wanted to get out of there as soon as possible," her mother replied, pinching her little brother's cheek. Ryo smiled widely before digging into his own food.