Chapter 5: Painful smile

'She really is a lot like lady Estelle.' Emel said, as he watches Mei sing drunk songs with her friends.

'You think so? I think she is actually the opposite.' Ellen said, as she sits beside her old friend and watches Mei.

'What makes you say that?' He asks, she looks around her, but everyone was busy with something else and she then points to Mei.

'While our miss is also cheery, she still has a barrier around her like the rest of the Castielo's. Look at Mei, she has the black hair and red eyes, but she is surrounded by a lot of people and are not that afraid of her. However, those stares she is getting from around her are not because they like her, it is because she is admired.' Ellen notes, Emel notices it now too.

'Admired?' He asks, he looks at Mei who was laughing brightly.

'We might have seen some horrible things in our day, but nothing compared to what Mei had gone through. She spent eighteen years in Magic Tower, subjected to all kinds of experiments and yet... she still smiles and moved forward. Her spirit never broke... what does that say about how strong she actually is on the inside?' He thought about it and remembered how the lady Estelle had separated her mind from her body to survive that place when she was kidnapped for a few days. However, Mei never faltered and survived for eighteen years without giving up. It made like the issues they had been struggling with were minor compared to her suffering. Also, he realized she was the first person he had been so open with and she had seen his horrible personality change but did not flinch and instead... she just smiled. He felt his heart skip a beat when she looks back and smiles again.

'Lady Mei, good morning!' I open my eyes and find myself back in my bed. I get up and I notice I am still wearing my clothes from yesterday, but the maids simply help me up and I get changed. I am then guided downstairs and it looks like everyone had gathered for breakfast, but it looks like Estelle was still absent.

'Where is Estelle?' I ask.

'She seems to be feeling ill.' Carles said, a light breakfast is placed before me and I got some medication for my hangover.

'It seems you had quite the night with the recruits.' Ein said, I nod and take a bite from my food.

'Yeah, it was so much fun we even had a chugging challenge and sang these weird songs, we tried playing a guessing game but that went sour fast.' I commented, Ein smiles and takes another bite.

'I am glad you enjoyed yourself.' He said, we all wanted to continue eating but that is when Kelson stepped in.

'Sir... shouldn't you be addressing how she arrived home last night?' We all look at Kelson and that is when I remember, it was Emel who had carried me home and to my bed.

'Oh yes, when have you become so close with Emel?' Carles asks, I thought about it but hold up my shoulders.

'How are we close? We just spared a few times and drank together, but that is pretty much it.' I spoke. We were discussing Emel, but that is when Kelson steps in again to address the matter.

'It's more about the issue; you were brought home by a man in a drunk state. A lady must be careful of her image.' He addresses, I raise my eyebrow and take another bite.

'I was just having fun.' I said, but that is when I get to hear the same words, I get to hear all the time.

'You should take an example of lady Estelle. She can explain it better to you if you want, she...' I let my aura out and look angrily at Kelson who shut up.

'Then you should stop comparing me to Estelle because I am Mei Castielo.' I said, Carles and Ein kept on eating and Kelson quickly adjusted his attitude.

'My apologies lady Mei, I will adjust mybehavior.' He said, but I had already lost my appetite and I left the diningtable after excusing myself. It was everyday the same in this house, peoplewould always keep comparing me to Estelle as she was the perfect example of alady while I... am not. I knew how they looked at me, as I was the opposite of Estelle,but I just could not act the delicate part. Also, everything in this placeseemed to revolve around her... I understood why, but still... it is not my fault Igot here too late.