Who am I Fooling?

"Goodbye Gale," I repeat the words in my head hundreds of times a day. When they ring in my ears it distracts me from the world around me. The thought of that day weakens me. So it's better to try to forget. But how are you supposed to forget the moment you lost your best friend?

"Officer Hawthorne?" Says a timid voice from the doorway

As I snap back into reality I notice the papers in my secretary's hands. I look up as if answering yes?

"More paperwork sir"

"Thank you Lexius, leave them on my desk."

Lexius is my assistant, she has Capitol blood but was raised in District 2. I've never asked why. Come to think of it I've never really talked to her. It's not really my top priority.

"Sir, are you ok?"

I don't know what to say to that so I simply respond with "Yes, I'm fine"

Who am I fooling?

Working for the government comes with its good and bad. Paperwork is definitely a negative to my job. But I do what I have to. It turns out the stack of papers on my desk are just transaction slips I have to sign to send provisions to my units in District 4.

I work in District two, it's nice, of course, it was nicer before the rebellion. There were mountains in 12 but not like here. The entire terrain is mountains, before the first rebellion they were called the Rockies. But as hard as life in District 12 was, how can anywhere replace where I grew up. Where I was able to hunt every week? The negative outweighs the positive so I ask myself again.

Who am I fooling?

I skim over the slips and sign the bottom Sargent G.Hawthorne in black ink and turn on the Capitol News. It's mostly on the new Panem with shots across the country of the districts. Even after 6 years the districts are rebuilding. It's crazy how a war that lasts less than a year causes that much destruction. But I know how much I contributed to it. Something I have to live with.

Panem has figured out a government system that allows each of the districts to elect their government officials. As for the president since Coin died we had to have an election for a new president. Paylor-the leader of the rebellion in District 8-was elected I can't lie I was angry at first, as I admired Coin but Paylor has far exceeded my expectations. I still can't help wondering what would have happened if Coin wasn't killed.
                                        ~
It's still light outside when I leave my office and I decide to take a new path home. I soon realize this path is much longer than the one I take home every other day. I can see the sun is sinking into the horizon and quicken my pace.

The damage district two took during the rebellion was not as severe as the other districts but not to be dismissed. There are rocks scattered here and there cracks in the road, and most homes were destroyed. We started with about a 5 mile radius where we built some homes and essential buildings. This area has grown to be about 20 square miles. Still, we get provisions and supplies from the other districts and Capitol.

I see the village in which I live out on the horizon. The sun has sunk into the earth and it is getting darker by the minute. Normally I wouldn't mind being walking in the dark and I actually prefer it but for some reason, I'm eager to get home tonight. So I make an effort to walk even faster. It's all uphill though, because my village, like most villages in District 2, is on a mountain.

To my left, I see a patch of flowers. Which isn't abnormal even with all of the rocks and debris. But one familiar flower catches my eye. One that grew in the meadow outside of district 12, where I sat the morning of the reaping. A small white and purple flower standing in the middle.

Primrose

THANK YOU SO MUCH IF YOUR READING THIS!
Tell me what you think in the comments and follow for the next part!