Saturday, January 2nd, 2021

he looked at me today.

I was in the shop with my mom and sister and I saw him. he was in the vegetable section with his mother. he didn't seem to have any siblings.

he was picking out fruit. apples. he seemed to be struggling. like he couldn't pick which Apple he wanted.

he looked up. there I was. caught in his caramel swirled eyes. he smiled. I smiled back.

he goes back to picking apples.

"hey, you're Clay.. from school, yes?"

my heart drops. I look up and nod nervously. I know his name but I don't want to sound creepy, so I make it sound like a question.

"Y- yeah and you're George, right?"

I stuttered. I fucking stuttered. I sound like a fool. such a simple sentence and I stuttered.

"you seem pretty nice compared to everyone else.. could you come here and help me?"

help? what does he need help with? I mean, whatever it is I'll try my best.

I walk around the counter and stand next to
the boy. he really is short. he looks up at me and points between the two bunches of apples.

"do you mind telling me which is red..? these signs aren't really helpful."

I look at him confused but comply. is this some sort of game?

"ah thank you. sorry for interrupting you."

don't apologize.

"it's no problem. um-"

don't ask. just comply. just ask him another time.

"thanks again. I'll see you on Monday, Clay."

I nod my head and walk off.

my mother won't leave me alone. in the store, in the car, even when we got home. soon enough my sister joined her.

"I don't know.. I don't know!"

that's where I snapped.

I don't know why I was looking at him like that.