"But...I heard that Iroh vanished from a hallway!" On Ji said, eyes wide.

"A lie." Zuko shook his head. "We're not sure who began it...whether it be someone trying to undermine our power here or a stupid rumor meant as a joke. I can confirm with my own eyes that my uncle was put to death last night." The pain in his voice was real enough.

"...What of the Avatar and Ty Lee?" Mai spoke up quietly, and though her expression was flat, it showed a great deal of worry on her part to even ask.

"Still unsure on their location, but we are working diligently to find the hide-out of these traitors and see to it that they are shown justice as well," Zuko said. Mai nodded, but her shoulders dropped in utter relief.

"We understand these are difficult and turbulent times, so we will be giving you all a few days to work through your feelings, no requirements from us. If you have any more questions, please reach out to me. I wish to help all of you through this," Zuko said earnestly. "The trip to the wetlands of the Earth Kingdom is pushed back a few days," he added, looking at Alcina who was the lone person left slated to take this trip. Katara wondered idly if he'd be adding more girls on?

"Thank you, Prince Zuko," Ratana bowed to him, "For telling us."

Zuko bowed back, to all the girls, and left.

"Toph's dead..." Alcina whispered in horror as soon as he was gone. "And Ty Lee is an Airbender. It almost seems like it's all a dream, huh?"

And honestly, truly, Katara wished it were.

XxXxXx

Two days later and Katara was feeling more alone than she ever had before. Though she and Zuko seemed to be on an upwards path, their friendship and romance hardly made up for all the ghosts she felt were completely choking her at every turn.

She was still waking up, hoping for Aiga to be there.

She was turning to where Toph would sit during dinner to joke with her.

She was searching for Ty Lee in the Ladies' Room to share a feeling of reassurance.

She was expecting Aang to be in the line of the Royal Family, and Iroh too, one with a wide-happy smile and one with sage advice.

She was about to search the halls for Shoji to ask him to do small favors for her.

She walked by her brother's old room a thousand times, always naively hoping he'd be behind the door and ready to give her a hug.

She was the keeper of all their spirits, which danced in every corner of the room and she was furious no one else saw it. She had lost almost everyone she cared about; had she and Zuko still be in a fight, she would have packed up and gone home.

As it was, that was still a consideration, especially in light of Sokka's secrets revealed.

Her parents had sent many frantic messages, but Katara had been unable to answer any with something that would make them feel better. She wasn't even sure he'd be okay, despite Iroh's promise, and even if he was, she couldn't tell them that.

Many, even if he was given his life as a 'gift', demanded his removal as the attendant from the Southern Water Tribe, which Katara understood. She had no idea who would come in his stead, or if he'd be allowed to remain here at all, but this was one of the least concerning issues. If he was released from the palace as it was, that might be for the better, and he could search out Toph without any interference or expectations of jobs here.

What was worse was that Ozai had declared no more food would be sent to Katara's tribe, at least until a 'more suitable diplomat with the proper respect' would come to the Fire Nation to basically grovel at his feet. It didn't matter that Katara was in the top ten contestants and still ranking highly. It didn't matter that it would be at least a week before anyone could make it out to the Fire Nation, and she doubted her parents would send someone immediately, recklessly. It didn't matter that he was pulling on the threads of the livelihood of everyone there, threatening their means of existence.