Chapter One

"Before there was time, before there was anything"

"There was nothing"

"The world was nothing but darkness. As the world came into light, that darkness took form" 

'Elizabeth found herself standing in a void of some sort, she was wearing one of the dresses she had at her home in the castle before she left'

'As she took a step her foot caused ripples along the ground, almost like she was standing atop water'

"That darkness took a form that was the antithesis of life"

'Elizabeth came to a stop as she ran face first into a large being, a pair of glowing white eyes staring down to her'

"Death"

'Elizabeth felt a sudden stabbing pain in her chest as her heart stopped'

'As her eyes fell closed Elizabeth jolted awake in her bed within the boar hat tavern. Her heart hadn't stopped but it was pounding in her chest like a war drum'

'She was shaking and sweating. Her body felt like it had been thrown into shock, she couldn't even force herself to sit up due to her lack of strength'

'Elizabeth took her time as she tried to level her breathing to settle her nerves. Having placed a hand on her chest'

'As Elizabeth tried to collect herself the tavern itself was bustling with customers as they had stopped for a few days to gain some extra coin'

'Ban was cooking whilst Meliodas handled the orders for booze. Gowther and King were handing out the orders as they came out and Diane was stuck outside as usual, trying to draw in as many customers as possible'

"I'm telling ya! After we went on that job something was following me!" 'A customer said to his friend earning a scoff from her'

"You got the jitters man, I think you need to lay off on "Foraging" when we go on jobs" 'The woman said with a chuckle as she took a sip of her mead'

"I know what I saw damnit! Whatever it Is...it knows what we did" 'The man said in a hushed tone, earning a glare from his friend'

"Hey! Shut it man." 'The woman said coldly as she narrowed her eyes, un aware that they already had someone listening in on their conversation'

'Meliodas had been intently listening in on their conversation, both the topic of their conversation and nature seemed to catch his attention'

'Making his way back to the bar Meliodas placed a the mug on the counter, catching Ban's attention'

"What's up captain?" 'Ban asked as he stood stirring a pot of soup, earning a hum from Meliodas'

"I just heard another story about "Some Strange Monster" following people around here" 'Meliodas stated, catching Ban's interest'

"The shady lookin two in the corner?" 'Ban asked curiously, earning a nod from Meliodas'

"Yeah, pretty sure they're a bunch of mercenaries or something" 'Meliodas stated, earning a grin from Ban'

"Wanna follow em? If there really is somethin following em we could get to see what it is" 'Ban said, earning a hum from Meliodas as he crossed his arms'

"We could close a little early tonight...We've been getting some good business lately" 'Meliodas said with an amused grin of his own crossing his face'

'On an almost instant decision Meliodas started to close up the bar, ushering out the remaining customers before he and Ban packed up some left overs'

"What're you two doing?" 'King asked suspiciously as he floated over to both Meliodas and Ban, who had stopped at the door'

"We're checking out some reports of a monster. It supposedly follows people" 'Meliodas stated in a factual manner, causing king to cross his arms'

"You mean you're stalking customers" 'King stated, raising an eyebrow'

"That is what we are doing yes" 'Meliodas stated before walking out the door with Ban close on his heels'

'Shortly after both of them had left Elizabeth came down the stairs into the tavern, a look of confusion crossing her face as she noticed just how empty the tavern was'

"Did we close already?" 'Elizabeth asked in a mixture of guilt and confusion'

"Yeah, ban and the captain wanted to go chase stories of monsters. So we closed up" 'King explained in slight annoyance as he rested on his floating pillow'

"How are you feeling princess?" 'Gowther asked, earning a light jump from Elizabeth at his sudden appearance'

"I am feeling fine why?" 'Elizabeth asked, earning a tilt of Gowther's head'

'Deep in the forest Meliodas and Ban had been following the two mercenaries that had been customers at the tavern'

'The two had wandered a short distance away from the town before setting up a camp for the night, leaving both Ban and Meliodas to sit off in the bushes a small distance away, being just out of ear shot'

"This is kinda lame" 'Ban states with a bored tone, earning a nod from Meliodas'

"Yeah I thought they would go farther out" 'Meliodas stated with an honest tone'

'Silence fell between the two as they watched the two mercenaries, hoping for some form of event to take place'

"You got first watch" 'Ban said abruptly before laying back, preparing to take a nap'

*To Be Continued*