chapter 003

'if you make a call and leave the phone on, it'll make a noise when a monster is near you.' the man's note flashed into your head as you plugged your ear phones to your ears, gripping your weapon tightly, trying to make your breath slowed. you and hyun standing side by side, you two happen to gaze at each other but immediately broke it.

'come when your mind is up.'

the boy beside you took a step forward and hesitantly opened the door. looking from left to right, he slid outside his apartment before you, closing the door from behind.

the two of you arrived at 1408 safely, removing your shoes and took a step to face the man from before. you can't help but feel your hands lightly shaking. "im han du-sik. and you are?" he spoke up first. you turned your head to the boy beside you, seeing him hesitate first before speaking up. "im cha hyun-soo." he lowered his head.

you then turned your head to du-sik and forced a small smile to your lips. "and im yoon [y/n], nice to meet you mr. han." you lowered your head as well. "slow speakers." you heard him mumble. "how.. can we save the kids?" hyun interrupted.

'"we.."' you suddenly felt nostalgic.  "what do you mean by how? you'll have to go." the man moved his wheel chair, coming out fron his desk from hiding his condition. "should i go?" you felt sorry for him. hyun lowered his head and looked up.

a small smile perked up the man. "i used to be a legend in cheonggyecheon. you know how you can get a tank made there if you have a blueprint?" du-sik raised a straight hand, pointing something. confusion struck you (and hyun).

the man took a breath, slightly disappointed. "that means I can transform your stick into something useful. and you, you don't need that, look for something more useful." he pointed at hyun's stick with a kitchen knife attached to the end with tapes and pointed at your metal bar.

"give me that."

"pardon?"

"give me that stick."

"oh. the weapon."

hyun walked forward, his weapon literally pointing at du-sik that caused you to raise the both of your hands in concern. the man in wheel chair leaned away. in realization, hyun rotated his weapon, letting du-sik grab the other (safe) end.

you let out a small sigh in relief. du-sik observed the weapon for seconds before looking at the boy, causing him to avert his gaze. you gently put down your weapon and looked around for something more useful as du-sik said.

after a while, the man lowered his whatever-its-called as you and the boy stood up waiting for his next action. he let out a quick sigh. "its done." he raised a head to hyun. "hey." du-sik noticed hyun staring at a small photo in a picture frame. you glanced at it. "certificate of merit. first lieutenant han du-sik."