Dinner But Not A Date

Start from the beginning

I get back to my apartment at 6:30, a hour and a half after I left the clinic. The traffic was terrible, there was a three car pile up. I go over to my home phone I have two new messages. I press play and listen.

"Hey Sky its Carol, I will be at work tomorrow and I was wondering if you wanted to come to my house tomorrow night for a little party and we are going to celebrate all night, of course no drinks though, or meat... for you. Hahaha. Call me back. Bye."

Its probably just to celebrate the baby, but the baby shower is coming up soon after there wedding and they still need to have a wedding shower, and I work with her I see her all the time I think she can live without me for one night. I listen to the other message.

"Hey Skyler." I absorb a familiar English accent. "I'm at the hospital." Suddenly my heart leaps. "Before you worry I have to say I'm ok. Only a little scratch on my forehead and a fractured wrist. As for my car, I can't say the same. I was involved in a three car pile up on the highway. God it was bloody scary, but I'm fine. Call me back on my cell. I'll be out of the hospital tonight and maybe tomorrow we can get together and do something. Maybe go to a bar and have some appetizers or something. I can't wait to see you again." My heart flutters but my head is full of worry. I can't believe I didn't recognize Andrews car. I redial Andrews number and it only rings once before he answers.

"Hello?"

"Andrew!" I tense up. "Are you ok?" He chuckles on the other end. "Why are you laughing?"

"I told in in my message I was fine, I'm already home." I sign in relief.

"Ok, that's good." I start to relax again.

"So do you want to come over to my place tomorrow night? You still haven't been here." I bite my lip kind of wishing I was going to Andrews. I would love to see his apartment.

"I'm sorry I wish I could but I already have plans."

"Oh, well maybe some other time."

"Definitely." I beam.

"Awesome. So I'll talk to you later."

"I can't wait to see your awesome car accident scars." I giggle.

"Oh yeah, they are pretty awesome. See you Skyler."

"Bye Andrew." I smile and hang up. And now Caroline.

It takes longer for Caroling to answer but she does.

"Hello?" Her voice is starting to sound allot better now.

"Hey, how are you doing?"

"Better I got some antibiotics and they worked really fast, it was just a one day food poisoning thing."

"Oh that's good."

"Yeah, so do you think you could come to my house tomorrow night for a little party?"

"I'm sorry but I actually already have plans."

I takes a while for Carol to reply. "Oh, that's ok. What are your plans? Something with Andrew?"

"Actually no I," I take a moment to think. "Uh my parents are coming tomorrow and we are going out to dinner. I'm sorry."

"Oh that's fine. Say hi to them for me."

"I will."

"See you tomorrow at work."

"Bye."

The line goes dead.

I get into my teddy bear pajamas and turn on my gas fireplace. I get my blue fuzzy blanket and make some french vanilla cappuccinoand get cozy on my dark brown leather couch, with my book Remember Me? By Shopie Kinsella. It kind of reminds me of what happened with Spencer this afternoon.I take my hot pink coffee mug off of my wooden side table and inhale the scent of vanilla coffee, I take a sip of the sweltering liquid. My tongue starts to burn and I almost drop my coffee. I gasp at my almost disaster and curse my graceless hands. I put the cup down to let it cool and continue to read my book.