Those Blue Eyes

Another short weekend has past and now I'm all alone in the clinic doing everything by myself. Caroline got her first baby sickness today so I have to do double the work. The privileges of being pregnant. Caroline and I have never hired anyone else so it kind of sucks when one of us is sick. When Caroline has her baby, I will have to work all the time by myself so I better get use to it. But this is our business and we won't let anyone else come into it and say that they work here.

"It's ok." I try to quiet a little four year old named Brooke who I just gave eye drops to. "It only stings for a bit." I smile sweetly at the little curly brown haired girl, her matching brown eyes water. I roll my chair over to the filing cabinet across the room. I open one of the drawers and pull out a bucket of lollipops. "Here." I pull out a red one. "Do you like red?" She nods timidly. I hand it to her and immediately rips the wrapper off and sticks it in her mouth. I stand up and walk towards the door. "Dentists hate me." I smile at Brooke's mom.

"Thank you so much." She laughs. Brooke wraps her hand around her mother and walks out the door. Usually Caroline would take care of getting the clients glasses if needed. But thank god Brooke didn't need any. I sit back down on my rolling chair and look into my schedule. Its only 10:00, but it has felt like forever. Suddenly a ringing in the other room gets me up from my stool. I quickly place myself into the wooden chair that makes my butt go numb and pick up the loud phone.

"Hello, Bostons Eye Clinic. Dr. Valentine speaking."

"Hey, could I make an appointment for today." A male voice answers. I quickly look over everything I have to do today. I only have four more eye exams today, and then all I have to do is take calls.

"Sure, I could make one for today at noon."

"Sounds good."

"Ok," I smile as though they can see me. I type the appointment into the computer. "And whats your name?"

"Spencer Sterling." Suddenly the phone slip out of my hand and onto the dark wooden desk. My heart starts beating out of my chest. My stomach does somersaults and butterflies start to flutter around in my stomach. Its, Spencer the man that I use to love. The one I thought I would never get over and now I finally did and now he's back... just shoot me now.

"Uh, hello?"Comes out of the phone laying immobile on the desk. It's like the phone has a contagious disease and if I touch it I will die. "Are you there?" I take a deep breath and conquer the deadly illness.

"I'm sorry the phone..." I had to think of a lie, and fast. "Died." There was a short silence.

"Oh ok." He sounds like he is smiling. I stay quiet waiting for him to end this awkward conversation. "I'll see you at noon I guess."

"Ok, bye." I say quickly and slam the phone down. I feel dizzy I put my elbow on the desk and place my head in my hand. I couldn't have told him he couldn't come. Suddenly without thinking I grab the phone again and punch in Carolines number.

"Hello?" A husky voice answered.

"Caroline?" I asked. Someone coughed on the other line.

"Sky?" She says weakly. I nod, thinking she can see me. I'm to dazed to think. "I'm so sick." She coughs again.

"Well..." I pause choosing the right words to say. "Do you have enough strength to come in at like I don't know, noon." Without warning gaging sounds come from the phone.

"Are you kidding me?" She yells as best as she could into the phone. "No."

"Well, you are only pregnant I didn't think you would get this sick."

"Yeah, me too. I think that chinese food I ate was funky."

"Well, I'm not sick." I clarify the obvious.