chapter II - a drink

Start from the beginning

His voice gave it away, honestly. He was genuinely concerned for Grogu. They had a special, and close connection to one another. And Y/N could sense that not all Mando was telling her was true. Sighing, she looked directly where she thought his eyes were. "You're not telling me the truth, Mando. There's no point lying to me. I know how you truly feel." Mando, taken aback, merely stared back at the Jedi. Confused. "Trust me, I'm not hiding anything–" "In reality you don't want to see Grogu go, do you?"

Mando, sensing he couldn't hide what he truly felt anymore opened up. "No I don't. But... it's what's best for him. I don't want him to get hurt because of me and what I do for a living." A sad smile crossed Y/N's face. She felt torn on what to do. "Have you... brought him to-" "Yes and his choice was very clear. He wanted to stay with me. But I can't let him do that. He deserves to live out his life as a kid. Playing outside in the dirt and enjoying every single day with his parents. I want him to have the chance that I never had..." Mando felt his throat burn at that sentence. What was this feeling? Water threatened to escape from his eyes, and he felt his body shake in a way he'd never experienced before.

He sucked in a deep breath, attempting to stop the emotional attack. But to no avail. In turn, it made him want to cry even more now. "You know, it's okay to cry. It's heathy to let go of pent up emotions like that." Y/N's voice became softer, treading carefully as she knew it was a dangerous game prying around other's emotions. "I'm not crying." Mando tried seething, but instead his voice shook, making him more vulnerable. Great.

Mando sat on top of a spare crate, his arms resting on his lap. He kept his head down and in his hands, ashamed that he let his emotions get to him in front of someone he barely knew. He couldn't cry now. He fet so weak, pathetic. Ashamed to even call himself a Mandalorian after what he'd done now. Y/N looked down at the bundle in her arms. Miraculously, the small green alien had fallen asleep.

Y/N, still holding Grogu in her arms, gently placed him down in his pod before walking over to where Mando was. After pulling a crate to sit next to him, she sat down. She was hesitant at what to do at first, but then wrapped a hand around Mando and leaned into his shaking form. She hoped it would provide him comfort like it had her all those years ago...

Y/N remembered all the times she had been comforted by Leia like this when she was on base. She'd be overthinking everything, scared to lose all the people she'd loved and her thoughts reminded her of that. The tears would start spilling out, and when she thought all hope was lost, the darkness began to drift away and light would begin entering through the dark and suffocating clouds of sorrow. That light, was Leia Organa.

They would be sitting in the exact position Y/N and Mando were in right now. Leia would assure her, that everything would be alright not matter what, and even when Leia would pass she would always be up there somewhere watching over her and being the proudest she had ever been of her. The warmth from Leia's body calmed Y/N down almost immediately. Leia was Y/N's support system through all the hardship she faced while working with the Resistance, and was how she got through most of it, really.

Han's passing had hit everyone in the Resistance hard. It was like they had lost a major chunk of their community, and in some ways they did. During the early days of grieving, Y/N stayed in her room for days, not doing anything but staring at her ceiling. Leia, again, had helped her through most of it. Telling Y/N that he was in a better place now, and was watching over the Resistance and giving them the strength to presevere. But then... Leia passed.

Again, her death had hit everyone hard. But it really hit Y/N the hardest. It felt like she had lost a part of her. As if she was being impaled with a lightsaber as each day passed. She'd shut herself in her room, and would go days without eating, which worried her fellow Resistance members. Poe and Rey would try and check in on her once in a while, but stopped once they knew they weren't going to get through with her. Everyday they'd leave rations in front of her quarters' door, which most of the time, were left untouched.