"Oh, alright then," she replied, barely moving her mouth.

She looked at Benji, her gaze intent, before turning and walking down the sidewalk once more. As she shifted, he saw something appear on the blank sheet of paper she was carrying. He knew it well. He knew his own face.

Blue eyes.

Brown hair.

It was all a match.

He lunged forward, pulling the poster from her grasp, and held it in his small hands. She yelped softly, surprised by Benji's sudden movement.

Frantic, he looked at the paper, searching for his own face, but instead found a worn photo of a small girl with blonde locks and a pink dress. The green-eyed beauty stared at him as if she were alive.

"She was so innocent and sweet," she said, her hands folded neatly in front of her. "I miss her so much."

The uncomfortable smile still lingered.

He held out the paper to the woman, and looked down, trying not to look into her eyes. "Who is she?" he asked.

"She was someone special to me," she whispered.

"Where is she now?" he inquired.

"I don't know. She vanished," she responded, looking out toward the trees hanging in the distance.

"I hope she comes back," he answered, uncomfortably.

"Me too," she responded, smiling once again. "I hope they all do. Goodbye, Benji. See you soon."

The woman turned away, holding the paper by her side. As she walked, Benji swore he saw the woman's hands were clawed, like the creature's were.

The sound of the claws pressing against glass resonated throughout his mind as he walked down the sidewalk once more toward the school.

The trees on the side of him were a vibrant red, and the leaves inundated the walkway. Autumn air swept in from the right, pelting ruthlessly against his small body. As Benji walked, he felt a numbing chill against the bare toe exposed from his torn shoe.

His hair whipped wildly as he stopped, looking around at the trees burying in the back of the school. His eyes traveled to the large red building with windows tinted black, standing on the hill. There was a sign in the front of his school, reading, 'Oakbrooke Elementary,' and at the corner was a green sign with white writing claiming it was Madison street.

The barren steps leading up to the school cracked; emptied of students. Normally at this time, the stairs were crowded, and he would have to push past everyone to enter, but today, it was desolate.

The first thought crossed through his mind. He was late.

Benji could not be more than wrong.

Hurried, he sprinted, letting his backpack hit against his back as he ran toward the stairs. Nerves crept as he thought about being tardy again.

He had been several times before and was threatened with suspension if his tardiness continued. It was the last thing he wanted, considering they would have to call his parents and he did not want to face them.

Each step was difficult for the small boy. Memories impeded his mind. He could see his brother, standing in front of the school with a broad smile. The ghost of his past was haunting Benji. It followed him closely, like Noah was still there, going through the motions.

But he was not and Benji knew that.

So, did everyone else.

Including the school. They made it clear even though he had already been out of school for six months to come to terms with the disappearance of his brother, he needed to go back. He no longer had an excuse to be absent or late.