Prom

Abby and Erin back in their senior year of high school going to their prom.After Erins date stood her up after asking the 'Ghost Girl' out because of a dare by friends. Abby gets angry to finds this out and decides to do something to help her best friend.

Looking herself in the mirror as she finished the last swipe of her winged eyeliner, eighteen-year-old Abby Yates became absolutely convinced of two things: 1) dances were overrated, especially prom, and 2) if it were possible to look too good, she looked /too/ good in her prom outfit.

She'd wanted an outfit that both stuck it to patriarchal gender norms and accentuated her best features. So, she'd chosen a dark suit tied together with a striped bowtie, left her hair long and loose and curly around her shoulders, and topped it off with a little makeup for femininity. Now, an hour and a half before the big event, Abby was truly impressed by how stunning she felt in it, even if it had taken longer than she was normally willing to spend getting dressed. It was worth all the time and effort she put into it when she was going to prom with Erin. Well. She wasn't going /with/ Erin. Erin's actual date to the prom held the distinct honor of going /with/ her, but she and Erin were going to the venue together, and that counted for something. And if the idea of seeing Erin in her prom dress all glowy and rosy and happy made Abby's own heart flutter for reasons that went beyond being a supportive best friend - if even the memory of Erin's smile and the way her nose scrunched up when she laughed made Abby want to be the cause of it all the time - she didn't want to think about it for too long.

She stole a glance at the clock and fluffed her hair a few more times, fidgeting as she buzzed with excitement and nerves. /Dances are overrated,/ she reminded herself - ordered herself - as she couldn't help but will time to pass faster so she could see Erin sooner.

She soon made her way to her car and drove as she was going to meet Erin in the school parking lot. She sat by her car waiting for about 20 minutes and there was no sign of Erin or her date so she decided she go on ahead inside to look for her

Inside, Abby didn't see Erin anywhere there, either, even though groups of students were already starting to gather. She walked around, hopeful she would eventually catch a glimpse of her best friend somewhere in the crowd, distracted from meeting up by how much fun she was having - but she never did. And Abby frowned. Something wasn't right.

She slipped out to the quiet hallway where her own locker sat and pulled her pager out of her pocket to type a quick message to Erin:

You ok? Where are you?

She had no answer. She just figured Erin was probably stressing about looking good for a big day. Abby chuckled at the idea of Erin flipping out she knew though that either way she would think Erin would look beautiful. She decided to go freshen up in the bathroom while waiting and when she walked in instead found her best friend sitting on the floor in the corner by the hand dryers with her head between her knees

"Erin," Abby breathed, all other thoughts rushing out of her mind as she moved to sit down beside her. She gently placed a hand on Erin's shoulder, encouraging her, but not forcing her, into an embrace. "Hey, hey. You okay, honey? What's wrong?"

"Brian stood me up..I saw him with another girl.." Erin said looking up at her best friend teary eyed and then let her head fall into abbys shoulder as she whimpered and sobbed

Rage bubbled up and burned Abby's throat. /I'll kick his ass, I swear to God./

"He /what/?" she seethed. She clenched and unclenched the hand that wasn't on Erin's shoulder into a fist in an attempt to keep her anger from showing through in her voice. She knew it wasn't what Erin needed, even if Abby was still very much going to invite him to meet her in the parking lot later. "He didn't even call you? Oh, Erin..."