The First Day

It was all going well for Harry Derdon that day, he was woken up by his mother early and after getting ready, he set off for school. Not only was it his first day back at school, but it was his first day back at his new school. "Vulcan High School" it was called, it was named after a plane that was built on those grounds whilst the school was an R.A.F camp (but that's a story for a rain day) and he chose to go to that school purely because he liked its name. Harry started with no friends as all of his other friends had gone to different schools. Obviously, Harry was anxious about being lonely and he had a checklist, in his mind, of things he wasn't going to do. Such as, talking to people without them talking to him first, putting his hand up to answer questions, show off his poor art skills.

When the school bell went, he rushed into his form room and sat at the back table by himself. The girl that sat in front of him was called Maria Freedle.  She was beautiful in every other boy's eyes but Harry's. He didn't believe in love at first sight or that people's appearance means everything. He believed that people's personalities meant more than anything in a happy relationship. Not that he knew what a happy relationship was though; he had never been in one.

"Jack Derslo,"

"Yes Sir."

"Harry Derdon," there was no reply "Harry Derdon," there was still no reply, "Harry Derdon are you going to answer me or not?!" Yelled Harry's form tutor Mr Somers.

"Oh, yes sir" Harry replied, he had been day-dreaming about how his journey through school was going to be. He wondered how the teachers acted, if he will gain any friends, what his timetable will be like.

 As the teacher handed round the form's timetables. Harry, like every other child in that room, thought he had the worst timetable. His first lesson in the week was P.E. Harry's worst lesson. To top it off, he had his head of year teaching him! I suppose I should tell you about his head of year, his name was Mr Grennals and he was VERY strict! If you even coughed during his lesson, you had an hour's detention. But even that wasn't the worst part, the topic they were doing in P.E was football. Now Harry was never a big fan of football, but last time he played, he broke his ankle and was told that he wasn't allowed to play again. So he had to sit out of all of his P.E lessons that term and that earned him LOTS of detentions, but I will go in detail with that story later.

So for his first lesson, as I have told you already, Harry had P.E. Of course, based on the info I have given you, it didn't go well. For a start, his mother didn't receive the email telling him to bring his kit into school so he had an hour's detention for that and of course when he told his teacher his excuse, he got an even BIGGER yelling at!

After P.E, Harry had Food Technology. Fortunately, an e-mail wasn't sent out to say to bring in ingredients. He, like in form, sat at the back of the class, he preferred to be isolated from every-body else, and completed the task set with-out saying a word, apart from "yes miss" in the register. May I add, his teacher was called Miss Jenkins and she was one of those people who liked to set homework. Just before the end-of-lesson bell went, Miss Jenkins gave out the homework, to complete the sheet given, and she ended the lesson just as the second hand on the class-room clock struck 11:00.

Swiftly, Harry glided out of the classroom. It was then break-time and Harry, not knowing any-body, decided to go and figure out where the rest of his classrooms were for that day. He thought that if he looked at the rooms he had for 4th and 5th lessons then went to find his 3rd lesson classroom, he wouldn't have to trek back and forth. So for fourth lesson, Harry had English, he was put in top-set English as he was the second-best-in-the-north-west for story writing. Fifth period (that is what the time-slots were actually named) he had History. He still had ten minutes left of his twenty minute break so he decided to find a dry bench and perched their and read his latest library book, The City Of The Damned. So I suppose I should tell you more about Harry whilst I have the chance. Harry was originally born in the small town of Dolton, in America, before moving to even smaller village of Dercan, in England. His mother and father got married when Harry was 6 weeks old but they got divorced after just 10 weeks of marriage! That's when Harry's mother, Dianne Derdon, moved over to England to start a new life. Dianne decided to live with her father, he was English, and enrolled Harry at the nearest nursery school. Once again, Dianne found love. But he lived in Manchester and refused to move 127 miles down to Dercan. So Dianne moved to Manchester and had 6 full years of love. Harry was enrolled into the local nursery/school in which he made lots of friends. But at the end of Harry's 3rd year at school, (not including reception and nursery) Dianne and her fiancé split up. Within a week, the bags were packed and moved down to Salamon, the neighbouring town. Harry joined one of many schools in Salamon and he made more new friends and even had his first girlfriend there, Molly Lake. At the end of Harry's Primary School experience, he said his farewells and even shed a tear or two as he was leaving his friends to make another set at another school. So that leads us back to the perching on the bench in Vulcan High School.