chapter one

Moving to a new place is an opportunity to reinvent yourself and that's what I planned to do. I had no intentions of being the girl I was before because that's what got me involved with kyle in the first place. I was popular before and now I want to be someone no one notices.

"Jade, come meet our new neighbors," my mom yelled from downstairs. She knows I don't want to meet anyone.

I take my time going down the stairs, trying to calm my nerves. I turn the corner and that's when I see him, a guy my age. Just ignore him, Jade.

"Jade, these are our neighbors the Wilsons and their son Tyler, come say hello." my father whispers to me. He knows I don't want to do this. I can see it in his worried eyes.

I smile politely but don't say a word. This is the new Jade anyway.

"Not much of a talker are you Jade." says Mr. Wilson.

I don't answer.

"Tyler here has offered to give you a ride to school on Monday," my mom says brightly," isn't that nice!"

What! No. I don't want to be alone with him. I'm not ready for this.

"That's okay, I really don't mind walking." and with that, I turn and leave.

Back in my room, I can here my mom apologizing for my rude behavior. I wish she would just accept that I'm not going to be the same girl anymore. She doesn't realize that I am doing this to protect myself. I don't want to be the same person and I don't want to date anyone again. I'm scared of ot happening again.

I can't sleep at night. The dreams are vivid. I almost think they are real, sometimes I wake and I swear I can feel were kyle has hit me.

I'm trying to be strong for myself and my family, but it's hard. I hope that moving here was the right choice.

The next day, my mom took me shopping for new clothes. I need a new wardrobe to go along with the new me.

"Honey, this is so cute!" my mom said holding up a shirt that looks like something I would wear if I was still at my old school.

"No thanks mom, not really my style."

She gave me this look of confusion but didn't say anything. I know she is trying to accept the new me but it's hard for her to let go of popular, cheerleader Jade.

She stayed quiet as I bought a series of black shirts, skinny jeans, and combat boots.

"Are you sure you want all of this? It doesn't really feel like you"

"It's the new me, mom"

I have always liked these kind of clothes before, but I could never wear them because of my image. Now I can and it's kind of exciting.

Hopefully this new look with help me in being a wallflower. The idea of making friends, girls or boys, gives me so much anxiety. I'm really just hoping to not get noticed that much.

That's the plan.