The Antique Ring

A/N: In English class, we were told to write a story about an engagement ring.

I decided to put it on WattPad.

-Lana

            A young man by the name of Vladimir Manson came strutting into the old watchmaker's store. It was crowded with useless inventions and all kinds of watches; silver and gold, with fine leather straps. The busy city of Chicago was unusually silent outside, although Vladimir could still make out the whistling of the wind through the trees. Vladimir walked straight to the back of the store-he wasn't here to buy a watch, he simply wanted to visit his future father-in-law.

            "Mr. Spiegal," Vladimir said loud enough to make all the birds in a five mile radius to scatter. Oliver Spiegal, a man who just hit forty looks almost sixty. He's been cooped up in this store for almost twenty-five years and business has slowly been dwindling. Mr. Spiegal nearly jumped out of his wrinkly skin at the sound of his name, and then he sighed contemptibly when he realized exactly who said his name.

            "What do you want, Manson?" Oliver Spiegal spat out while continuing to construct the watch on his work table.

            "I have a proposition for you, Mr. Spiegal."

            "And what might that be?" Oliver Spiegal asked suspiciously.

            "I want you to create the ring that will adorn your daughter, for I have little money and can't afford an expensive wedding ring."

            "My daughter isn't materialistic, so you can go and buy her a cheap ring, Manson." The very thought of creating the ring that symbolizes the marriage between his beloved daughter and this fool made Oliver Spiegal's hands clench in anger. The only reason he allowed this wedding is because his daughter claims to be happy with Manson, and it would break Oliver's heart to be the reason for her unhappiness.

            "But, sir, would it not be more romantic if her own father built the ring?" Vladimir said, "I want it to be done by Monday, goodbye for now, Mr. Spiegal." At that the tall man with gelled back black hair and beady eyes stalked out of the old man's shop, a smug look plastered on his pale face.

            So Mr. Spiegal gave in and started to construct the beautiful ring, a pure gold band and a single white diamond at the tip, reflecting rainbows in the light. Yes, it was a beautiful ring, but cursed...