"I... I love you too, Gerad." She chokes up on her words, but I smile through all the pain I'm feeling for her. "I'm sorry for everything, Gerad. I was such- such an idiot. I'm sorry..."

"You have nothig to be sorry for. Breanne, I-"

"Excuse me, Your Majesty, but we must clean Lady Breanne's sheets now." Breanne and I both turn our heads to see who the voice belongs too. A nurse stands there, curtsying as soon as we make eye contact.

I kiss Breanne's forehead quickly and say, "Miss, can I talk to you and possibly a doctor?"

"Gerad, don't..." Breanne's voice is pleading, begging. I don't turn around.

The nurse, me, and two doctors meet in a back room. They all seem so tense- worried about dissapointing me.

"Don't worry, I'm not here to yell at you," I start. Their stances relax, just a bit. "I'm here to talk to you about Breanne. Can someone tell me what her current condition is?"

One of the doctors steps forward. "Your Majesty, she's in a dire state. As she is now, she has about a week to live."

"Is she feeling any pain?"

"No, Your Majesty. We give her pain killers every three hours."

"Is there any way we can make her live?" I sound so desperate.

All three of them look at each other. The other doctor mutters, "No, Your Majesty. We could try a lung transplant but there's a ninety-eight percent chance she'd die while in the surgery. The knife punctured the lung deep enough that there's truly nothing we can do. If you've seen her cough up blood, it's because a blood overflow has gotten into her air stream-"

"I understand, I understand. So that's it. She's got a week?"

Sadly, with their heads bowed, all three of them nod their heads.

I choke back tears. "Thank you for your assistance. Please don't tell her how long she has to live. Give her hope."

They nod and I race out of the room. "Breanne, I'll be back really soon, okay? I'll talk to you tonight."

"O-Okay," she murmurs.

---LATER THAT NIGHT---

I walk back into the hospital after being in the kitchen for hours, requesting food and beverages for two.

In my arms I carry a tray, filled with foods that I recall she loved. A maid who walked in behind me carries a few of her favorite books and candles.

"My goodness Gerad, what are you doing?" Breanne asks, but a slight smile creeps onto her face. Her lips are stained with blood, so I bring a napkin to her and wipe off her mouth.

"Just a special surprise," I say, grinning back at her.

Suddenly the smile falls off her face. "I'm going to die soon, aren't I?"

I pretend to look innocent.

"No! Of course not. You're in a lot of pain... I just wanted to try to take some of it away." I fake a smile, and she doesn't seem convinced.

Trying to take her mind off the subject of death, I sit down at the edge of her bed next to her. Helping her as best I can, I sit her up against a pillow, smearing it with dark blood. Gulping, I hand her a plate with elegant food we shared on our first date.

"This is what we ate that night," she whispers, looking at me. Her hair is in knots and she has dark bags under her eyes, but she's never been so beautiful. 

"Our first date," I reply. "I'll never forget that night."

"Me either," she says, already chewing on the contents of her plate. There are still cookies, cake, and some other simple pastries on the tray. As she eats I start to light the candles, and flick the light switch. I had already warned the nurses and doctors about this. Fortunatley, there are no other patients in the hospital.

As I put my arm around her, she shies away. "You don't want to do that. I'm already soaked with blood."

"I don't care if you're soaked with blood, or mud, or... guts, for that matter. I'd still put my arm around you." This comments gets a laugh out of her, and I chuckle myself.

"No matter what happens Breanne, I'll always love you."

"You mean when I die."

"I don't know if you're going to die," I lie. "What if I am shot? Then I'd want you to know that I love you."

"Whatever you say," she mumbles.

For the rest of the night, we sit in silence, holding each other close.

-

I can't believe I almost have 50,000 reads. That's unbelievable. I can't thank you guys enough. I really apologize for not writing, I hope you don't hate me and continue to read my story. 

I also have another story going, if you haven't seen it already. It's called "The Second Choice." I believe there are four chapters up so far. I promise you I'll do a better job keeping that one organized than this one, haha.

If you wanna talk about books or this story or one of your stories or need help or just want to talk, don't hesitate to private message me! I love you all <3

{Btw, sorry for this abrupt plot twist. I just had tea with Satan. LMAO JK. Still sorry though. But you never know what's gonna happen.}

Stay fabulosa,
Eve