Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

A Modest! Confession

The first days with Emma were filled with doubts and fears. I was afraid of hurting her, I was afraid that she wouldn't love me. I was afraid I'd do to her what I did to Leigh.

It had gotten to the point that within the first week I had already deemed myself an unfit parent.

"Louis, what if I can't do this, " I say watching Emma play on the living room floor.

"What are you talking about Harry, don't be ridiculous"

"I'm not. I'm being quite serious. What if, what if I find her a proper home and a proper family?"

Louis looks towards Emma who has curled up next to her ragdoll, his face darkens almost immediately, "Are you mad? Is she a dog? Do you fancy to find her a proper owner? Get your head of your arse Harold! She's your daughter. She's your responsibility! Why would you do that after you brought her in already!?"

I feel myself pale at Louis' words and mumble, "I was never given the option to give her up."

"You were you bloody twat, you didn't want it then. Why do you want it now? I thought you loved her"

"It's that very love that makes me want to give her a better life, how could I care for a child, Louis? I can barely care for myself."

"I'll put her to bed."

"I'm sorry."

Louis shook his head "I know you're scared, but you can't do this. You did it to Leigh, you're going to do it to her too?" He said looking at Emma. 

Harry shook his head and Louis kept looking at him. "Get it together Harry, I know you can do this. I'm pretty sure Leigh knew that as well."

"Thanks, mate, I'll put my baby to bed okay?" 

He hands her to me and I snuggle her to my chest. 

As I placed Emma onto my bed she looked up at me sleepily "Night night daddy." I sat down next to her and noted how she immediately came closer."Night night, love," I kissed her on her forehead as she curled into me. Her pudgy arms rested on my chest. 

"Go to sleep baby." 

She yawned. Her little hands intertwined in mine. It's only been a few hours, and she's already treating me as if she's known. As if she's known me her entire life.I felt her tiny heartbeat next to mine and I whispered into the darkness, "I'm sorry Emma. I'll never say anything like that again. I swear." 

She shifts a bit and hugs me tighter to her.

"I promise baby, for you, I'll be whole. I'll prove to you that I deserve you"

–❈–

I woke up the next morning to a tugging on my sleeves. I drowsily opened my eyes to see little Emma already sitting up on her pillow, her hair sticking up, and her jumper askew. I chuckled "Good morning baby, how are you?"

"I hungry."

"Well, how about we get you dressed and then we get some breakfast." 

She nods as I get up from the bed. I stretched and turned around to face Emma. She instantaneously held out her arms waiting to be picked up. I lifted her and felt her wrap her arms around my neck as I went to find her bag. 

When I found a suitable outfit for the day, I dressed her and then dressed myself. It was still rather early, around seven. I didn't want to wake Louis yet, and we weren't due at the studio until eleven.