Chapter 6

She's been avoiding me for the past week and I don't blame her. Was I out of pocket? Yea. Was I a complete jerk for nothing? Yea. Did she deserve any of what I said? Nope.

I slam my head back on my desk, head going straight for my algebra textbook, and let out a deep sigh. Sana and I never really fight like this and neither of us are really that good at apologizing when we hit a rough patch. I know I'm in the wrong here and I should be apologizing but my pride tends to take over too much and I hate to admit when I'm wrong.

Practice the past week hasn't been any better. Coach has been trying to teach me the triple axel and so far it's just me body slamming into the ground multiple times a day. I'm basically asking for my own pain and misery at this point.

"Yuzu, great job on the unit test!" my algebra teacher says laying down the most recent test on my desk.

I lift my head to look down at the sheet of white paper to find a bright red 96%

Hmmm at least something is going my way...

From the other side of the classroom, I see Sana in her newly chosen spot away from me, pick up her test with tears in her eyes. Assumingly, her test results were not good.

Maybe I am an asshole friend...god...

The bell rings signaling the end of the period and the start of lunch. I pack up my bag getting ready to leave the classroom when I see the teacher approach Sana's desk and the fear is noticeable in her eyes. I observe as the rest of the class leaves the room, while I stand there looking stupid not knowing what to do. As a fellow student, I know it's none of my business to get involved but that's my best friend...who I haven't apologized to and maybe it's kinda my fault she did poorly on her test...

I pick up my bag and sling it over my back, following the crowd of students leaving the class. My plan? To wait outside the classroom and apologize when she gets out. It's only the right thing to do when it's basically my fault for not tutoring her when she asked me and for letting my stupid jealousy of Yuta get in the way.

The conversation lags on for much longer than I expected. Getting tired, I decided to take a seat on the floor outside the classroom and pull out my bento box from inside my backpack. If I'm gonna be here for a while, I might as well start eating...

~

"Yuzu??!!"

My eyes pop open at the loud sound of my name. In front of me, Sana stands looking beyond pissed, to say the least. I ignore the informalities and shoot up from the spot on the ground where I was nodding off to sleep.

"Sana- chan!! Ummm...what did the teacher want? I also just want to apolo-"

"You know what?!" she shrieks

I gulp with wide eyes as I have never seen her this mad before.

"You brush me off with some stupid sarcastic remark and then you bring YUTA into it? I know I said he was weird in the beginning but one of my friends now. I don't see why you all of sudden have a problem with him but to get all butt hurt at me when I ask you for help and then you turn around and ask me what's wrong??! Since you suddenly care so much, I'll have you know I got a 50% on the unit test and Coach Nanami already has a huge issue with me, you KNOW that. To make matters worse she might cut me from the team completely after finding out I'm failing algebra just because YOU had refused to help me for some petty reason. You're really something else Hanyu, don't talk to me ever again..." she concludes before turning on her heels and marching off in the distance.

Man...I hate math as much as the next person but to lose your best friend over it? Another reason to hate the subject....