Chapter Thirty-Six: The Prisoner of Azkaban

I ran as fast as my feet could carry me. Cursing the moving staircases as they veered me off course. Eventually I made it out onto the grounds, still racing to try and help Remus. Well I was confident that he could take Black on his own in normal situations, his need to protect Harry would leave him vulnerable. Once I reached the Whomping Willow I tried to remember what Remus had told me about freezing it.

"Come on!" I shouted, but my brain refused to release the memory of Remus's days at Hogwarts. I walked myself through it, the tree had been planted to keep Remus from leaving during the full moon. But he did, with his friends. Harry's dad and Black had been large enough to keep Moony in check, and Peter...Peter had been a rat! Small enough to hit the notch on the inside of the tree!

I searched the ground for a stick long enough to reach into the hole at the base of the tree but the only one I could see was already sitting inside the Whomping Willow's attack radius. I had to get it, I didn't have a choice. I had to help Remus and the third years. I watched the tree swing its massive branches trying to figure out a pattern, and when I thought it was safe I lunged for the branch.

But I had messed up the timing and one of the Willows branches swung at me knocking me in my stomach. I could practically hear the wind being knocked out of me as I flew through the air. I  fell to the ground with a loud thud. I layed on the ground for a moment, my entire body throbbing in pain, and I could feel blood, from where the Willow had, hit me staining my shirt. 

But I forced myself back up, adrenaline coursing through me. I had to help Remus, I had no choice. I tried again for the branch. I let out a shaky sigh of relief as my fingers clasped around it. I jabbed the notch hard, freezing the tree right as another branch was about to hit me. I scrambled inside as fast as I could, not wanting to risk the Willow bursting back to life while I was still in its crosshairs.

The passageway was dark and damp, immediately causing a sense of uneasiness to settle upon me. 

"Lumos'' I whispered, making my way down.

I wasn't very far in when I heard a loud BANG in the distance. My heart started pounding even harder in my chest, each beat feeling like it was closer to bursting. I knew it was Remus, I was sure of it. Everything in me hurt at the idea that he was injured, it hurt just as much as the Willow knocking me back. I began running again, not caring that I didn't know where I was going.

A few moments later I heard the familiar voice of Professor Snape shouting something I couldn't quite make out. My heart skipped a beat, he wasn't alone. Professor Snape was there, Professor Snape was helping Remus fight Black. A part of me thought about going back. Snape was there, Remus had to be safe. And if Snape saw me he would know something was going on with Remus and I. But every fiber in my being was pulling me towards Remus.

I was able to make out words as I got closer to the end of the tunnel. I was closing in, I was almost there, I could hear Snape talking to Black. As I grew closer I heard something that made my blood run cold. "I'll drag the werewolf. Perhaps the Dementors will have a kiss for him too."

How could he?! He was turning on Remus! I didn't have time to process anything, all I knew was that my feet coudn't possibly move any faster. Dirt floated in the air as my shoes hit the ground over and over again. I had to get to Remus, I had too. I heard more shouting, this time it was Harry. But I was too distracted to care what he was saying, I had to save Remus. I was closing in, I could see figures.

Professor Snape screamed at Harry to move, right as he came into eyesight.

I rounded the corner into the room, pointing my wand at Snape and screaming "Expelliarmus!"

Except I wasn't the only one who said it. Harry, Ron, and Hermione had all cast the spell at the same time, sending Snape flying backwards and rendering him unconscious. I spotted Black and immediately aimed my wand at him.