Chapter Three

The Sunday after Oliver and I brought Daniel home, I hosted a brunch for my close friends to officially meet the little guy. 

We had arrived home on Friday night and Oliver saw the two of us home before returning the next day. 

Ever since I found out about Daniel and told my close friends, I've received a mountain of clothes, toys and gifts for the little baby so when we arrived home, he had his bassinette in my room waiting for him with a binky and a teddy bear. I was not, however, prepared to wake up four times during the night to feed the little monster. The last time I was this tired was when I was in college and thought I could go out partying all night and still make my 8am classes.

"My gosh, Bree, he's beautiful," Hope cooed as she looked down at Daniel who was sound asleep in the other bassinette that I was keeping in the living room so he could sleep soundly when I was in there. "And he looks like you too."

"He looks like my dad," I told her with a wistful smile.

"He's so little, aunty Bree," Tori, Hope's eight year old daughter, said to me while her little sister, five year old Zara, stared at Daniel in awe.

"Isn't he," I chuckled as I gently stroked her hair.

"Bree? Where should I put all of this stuff?" I heard Scott ask me. Turning to face him, I gasped at the mountain of boxes and bags he was holding (or trying to).

"What on earth?!" I looked at Hope who gave me a guilty smile. 

"It's not all stuff for newborns. Babies grow out of things super quickly so a lot of the clothes and shoes in there will come in handy as he gets older."

"Hope," I laughed as I hugged my friend. "Thank you. You're wonderful."

When Ivy and Ben arrived, I wondered if my friend had for some reason thought I had more than one baby. 

"Ivy! What is all this stuff?" I laughed, looking at the boxes and bags that were pilled up on the kitchen island when Ben went downstairs again to their car to retrieve the last few things.

And just like Hope, she said to me, "Babies grow out of things super quick. I just wanted to make sure you're prepared."

"You're crazy," I laughed at my friend. 

"You're saying all of this like you didn't over shop for Chesa and Franki," She playfully chided before going over to the bassinette to ooh and ahh at my beautiful boy.

I stopped questioning things when Valerie and Hayden arrived with a multitude of gifts for Daniel as well as a stroller (he would now have two), another bottle steriliser that I planned to keep upstairs so I didn't have to go downstairs at night to get new bottles and a baby playpen. 

"My heavens, Bree, he's gorgeous," Valerie sighed as she held Daniel in her arms like the expert mom she is. 

"He is quite cute, isn't he," I said with a small laugh. 

"He's really cute, aunt Bree," Artemis said as she gazed lovingly at her new fake cousin. 

"I hope you still think that when you're babysitting and changing diapers," I teased her, causing everyone to laugh.

When Oliver had finally arrived, also bearing an armload of gifts and toys, the group of us settled outside at the big table I had out on the balcony. Even though we were still in winter, the weather was behaving itself today and allowed for a nice lunch outside catered by one of my favourite restaurant in the area. 

"Aunty Bree?" Chesa said to me as she climbed onto my lap.

"Hi, baby," I greeted her and the kissed the top of her head.