"This is no warning, it is a threat," I stated. 

"Then it is a threat," he sighed. "I am giving you three days. Think about it. Then tell me your decision. Now leave." 

"You cannot just-" 

"Leave!" 

I bit my tongue, turning to leave, halting at the door and turning to him. He arched a brow at me in question. "Fuck you," I spat. I opened the door and left, leaving the house, grabbing my keys from our chauffeur. I filed into the car, turned it on, and then sped off. 

What on earth has just happened? 

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:

I walked back into the palace, my tie barely hanging onto my neck, my hair a mess from running my fingers through it repeatedly. I was a mess. I was heading to the staircase, passing the dining room when my eyes landed on Ella pacing around the place. I stood there, staring at her, watching her panic and confusion. 

"Ella." I looked to the right, noticing my mother was there as well. "Please stop worrying yourself, he must have gone for a drive." 

"His phone is still here, he did not mention anything about going somewhere, he has been missing the whole day, of course, I am worried!" she groaned. 

"He should be returning anytime now, dear," my mom sighed, trying to comfort her. 

She was worried about me? 

"But why would he-" She stopped rambling when her eyes landed on me. She let out a huge breath of relief, running around the table and over to me. She stared at me, breathing heavily. 

"I-" I stumbled back when she threw her arms around my neck, pulling me closer to her, in a hug. My mother and I exchanged a look while she walked past us, patting my arm. 

Ella pulled back, looking at me. "Where were you?" 

"I... I went for a drive." 

"For a drive?" she asked incredulously. "What the hell is wrong with you?!" She shoved me back, making me retreat. I sighed, not having any energy to argue with her and convince her of anything. "Why would you just pack up and leave like that?!" she shrieked. "Seriously, what on earth is wrong with..." she trailed off, her voice softening and concern taking over her features when she took me in. "Hey," she whispered, grabbing my tie and pulling me forward. "W-what happened?" she asked, holding one side of my face, her thumb stroking my cheek. 

I shook my head softly, pulling her hand down. 

"Nicholas," she mumbled, throwing my hand off and holding me closer. 

"Ella, no," I whispered, pulling away from her. 

"Hey, hey, hey," she said quickly. "What is wrong? What happened?" 

"You should go." 

"What?" she frowned in confusion. 

"Go. Just go. You should go." 

"What are you on about? Where should I go?" 

"Home." She stared at me quizzically. "Go home. To Velaris. To your parents. This marriage will not work. We need a divorce." 

"A divorce?" she scoffed. "W-why? Will you tell me what happened, Nick?" she sighed. 

"I cannot do this," I cleared my throat, shaking my head again. 

"What?! You cannot do what?!" she snapped. 

"I cannot hurt you as he asks!" I yelled. She flinched and jumped, probably not expecting me to raise my voice in that manner. I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. 

"What the hell are you talking about, Nick?" she asked through gritted teeth, pushing me again. I grabbed her hand, pulling her out to the backyard. "Nick!" she exclaimed, trying to free herself from my grip. "Nick, you're hurting me!" I loosened my grip and we stepped outside. "What? What the hell are you doing?!" she yelled. 

"Trying to explain! Listen to me carefully. You need to leave." 

"Nicholas, why are you-" 

"I said listen to me," I said, lowering my voice, taking a step closer to her. She didn't take a step back and I stood there, towering over her. "Leave Meralith." She stared at me, blinking in confusion. "I tell you this for your own good. Leave Meralith. Never look back. Never come back. Forget about this marriage." I could see her swallowing hard. "It is just an alliance, is it not?" 

Her breath got caught in her throat and she looked up at me. "Just an alliance?" she asked, her voice wavering. 

"We did not choose to marry each other, aren't I right?" I saw her jaw clench and unclench while her eyes glossed over. "And regardless, Meralith is not the right place for you. So I suggest you leave. Tomorrow morning, you may be dropped back home. Understood?" 

"You mean that?" 

"Do I look like I am joking? I mean it. I want you gone." 

She took a step back, trying to blink back her tears. "Then why marry me, to begin with, Nicholas?" 

"Our fathers wanted this alliance. But once I am king, I can rule independently. You are not needed. Or wanted here." 

A few tears slipped out but she wiped them quickly and took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. "Okay." 

Okay? 

"All right, let us tell your parents." 

I knew my face fell. My father cannot know. I cannot let him find out. He will make sure she does not leave and then... then he will have her assassinated. 

"I have already informed them," I lied. 

She laughed humorlessly, "It feels great to be last to know. Thank you," she said sarcastically. "Thank you for telling me to get the hell out of your kingdom and your life. I will be gone by tomorrow morning. Have a nice life, Nicholas." She scoffed, turning to leave while running her hand through her hair. She halted, turning to me. "I appreciate getting this in return for wanting you and wanting to love you. And one more thing," she smiled. "Fuck you." She turned around, lifting her dress and running inside and straight upstairs. 

I stood there, staring up at the sky, letting out a sigh. I could feel my eyes stinging. 

I do not want to lose her. But she is going to die if she stays. And I cannot let that happen.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 20

well

what do you think is going to happen next?

next chapter: regret