File 10: Ten Claws

[Date: November 1, 2020]

[Weather: Cold, light jacket or heavy sweater weather]

|Drink of the Day: Hot chocolate |

{Cases: 1}

- P. JS

.......

"So it's some sort of fire dog? What's next? A water dog? An air dog?"

"Well gee I sure hope so, I could use a nice spritz of water."

"Renjun no one appreciates your sarcasm, you either Mark," Donghyuck lectured from where he sat at his desk, his fingers curling slightly and bending the papers he was ruffling through. Renjun huffed from where he sat at his own desk, his heels propped up against the edge of his desk and Mark glaring at the other when they got too close to the surface of his own.

"I thought I already explain what they were," Chenle let out an exasperated huff of breath, his annoyance with the field agent becoming more and more apparent as Renjun grew more and more disinterested with research on the creatures, "Bul-Gae are a pretty prominent Korean legend."

Jaemin's gaze flickered over the file in front of him, an old article printed and slid into the files by the collective teamwork of Chenle and Jisung:

Bul-Gae -- as complied by Nzhong Lence

Creatures from Gamangnara (Creatures from The Dark World) Bul-Gae, otherwise known as 'fire dogs' are creatures of darkness. As the famous legend goes, the king of the Dark World sent out two of the most powerful Bul-Gae's to retrieve the Sun and the Moon for him. Unluckily, the Sun was too hot for the two Bul-Gae to grab and the Moon was contrarily too cold for the two Bul-Gae to grab.

However, the king of the Dark World was greedy, and desired the Sun and the Moon for himself. No matter how the two Bul-Gae persisted, they always failed to achieve the king's goal. Loyal as the two are, they pertained to the king's demands and keep at it to this day. 

It is said that when one of the Bul-Gae get's close enough to bite the Sun, a solar eclipse would occur. Likewise, when they get close enough to bite the Moon, a lunar eclipse would occur.

Jaemin drummed his fingers against the cold metal of his desk, and his eyes flickered up to where Renjun was lounging about, his head staring disinterestedly at the ceiling. The lore was easy to understand, and actually quite interesting. Jaemin did wonder though, if these Bul-Gae were so powerful to bite the Sun and the Moon on occasional instances, why had it shown up to attack a simple man?

"I think," Jaemin spoke up, catching the attention of his seatmate, "We should look into the man who was murdered." 

Jeno frowned and stared at Jaemin with a look that displayed clear confusion. "Why do you say that?" He pondered and Jaemin drummed his fingers in a rhythmic pattern, unconsciously playing a song he had heard on the radio at his apartment.

"Well, if these Bul-Gae are so powerful, why did they go after such an 'ordinary' man," Jaemin voiced his thoughts and the words caught the attention of the rest of the room, Renjun cocking his eyebrow.

"Now that's an interesting question." 

"This research is important too!"

"Uh, only for you. Just tell me how to deal with this thing, I don't need to know all it's history and blah blah blah."