Chapter 28: Scattered Hearts

**Niall's POV**

I came to find Olivia after my interview, after Cara told me she'd gone to the ladies'.

I heard giggling and curiously followed the sound, recognising it as Olivia's sweet laugh.

What came next shattered my heart.

Olivia in someone else's arms, staring at him like she did with me.

"Who the hell is he?!" I yelled at her, and her mouth opened in surprise.

The boy stood forward to explain, "It's not Olivia's fault-"

"I don't want to hear it from you." I snapped, staring at Olivia with a pained expression.

I saw one thing in her beautiful eyes as I walked closer:

Fear.

That one thing she hadn't shown since she last saw her father.

Olivia was frightened of me.

**Olivia's POV**

"Niall. Just let me explain!" I babbled and he stared at me, shaking his head.

"Why, Olivia? Why?" His voice cracked and I saw his bottom lip quiver.

I hadn't seen anyone so torn before; his eyes were dull and sad, his voice quiet, a mere whisper.

He had it wrong; he needed to listen to me.

"Please listen. Niall!" I whispered and Niall turned away from me.

"If you're going to sneak around like this, then it's fine by me. I guess those fans were right. You're not worth my time." He said harshly and I looked at him in disbelief, feeling my heart break, scatter into the air as breath left my lungs.

No, Niall, don't do this, you got it wrong. It's only you! My mind begged.

I slumped to the floor as Niall stormed out the room, pushing Liam away from him as he marched out the door.

Alex looked at me, "I'll talk to him."

"No. He won't listen to you!" I pleaded with him. "He doesn't even know you." I added.

"If he loved you he'd come back, Ollie." He tenderly stroked my hair and then added, "If he loved you like I did, he'd come back."

I looked at him through watery eyes, "You love me?"

He nodded slowly and before I knew it, he had pressed his lips to mine.

"No!" I pushed him away by the chest, fear rising in my chest.

"I'm sorry, Alex. I...I love Niall."

It was unbearable looking at Alex. He kissed me, he loved me. And I didn't love him.

It was only Niall, it would only ever be Niall.

Guilt punched me in the stomach, and tears threatened to spill from my eyes.

I dashed them away with the back of my hand.

Those girls were right. My dad was right - I was pathetic, worthless and stupid.

**Liam's POV**

I watched as Niall shoved past me, eyes glistening with tears.

"Olivia? What did you do?" I asked her apprehensively.

Niall had never been this sad before. In fact, he'd never cried in front of me. Not over a girl.

Olivia was sobbing into her hands, her body jerking with each cry.