Then I headed home after Jamie called me about this house coming out on the market. It was our first big project, ambitious and daunting enough to require all of my time and attention for a good long while. It would also provide jobs for Jamie's small crew for a good solid six months. That sold it for me.

Besides, I was a little tired of running.

Because that's what it was, of course. Good ol' running.

Despite keeping a low profile after coming back, I wasn't stupid enough to believe that Stellan wouldn't hear about it.

It's just a matter of time and I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Jamie just pivoted and headed for the doorless doorway.

"Hey, can you grab the samples from Faruk on your way home?" I asked, scrambling to collect some of my tools from the hardwood floors that were too water-damaged to keep, hence the samples. This wasn't going to be a cheap flip. "We can decide on them tomorrow."

Jamie didn't even turn around. Just grunted and waved a hand behind him to acknowledge what I said.

"Kady, you wanna grab dinner with us?" Kevin, one of the other guys in our team who'd been working on the other half of the house, asked as he popped his head through the doorway. "We're thinking all-you-can-eat Chinese food. I'm starving."

I smiled at him distractedly. "I bet you are. But I think I'll stick around for a bit. I need to revise the plans a little now that we have this fireplace to consider."

"Should we swing you by some take-out?" he persisted.

Kevin has always been a little friendly with me but he'd never been inappropriate. Besides, he's like eighteen, I think. He was about six-foot-four and lanky but still, he's just a boy. He was the youngest of the four guys Jamie brought on to this project. And maybe he'd told them something at the beginning but I haven't had to toss any of them out for being a creep around me. Or just being a jackass in general. God knows I've had to do that a few times in past reno projects. Jamie always had to deal with finding replacements and getting us back on track but he never complained about it. All he'd ever said to me was that respect was non-negotiable. And since then, I never questioned whoever Jamie brought onboard.

"No, I'm good. I can't eat when I'm concentrating," I said, pulling out my tablet from my backpack and loading the plans on the screen. "But have fun and don't forget to take your Tums right after."

Kevin blushed and just rolled his eyes. "That was one time, Kady!"

"One time's all it ever needs," I shot back, chuckling, as I settled on the floor. "Okay, go. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

Kevin had just turned around to leave when he suddenly paused. "Um..."

My brows gathered. "What now? If it's the city again to rant on and on about the dumping permit, I'm gonna—"

"It ain't the city," Kevin answered with his back still turned. "At least I don't think they drive a car that nice."

I straightened, my spine steeling.

"Jamie's talking to him," Kevin reported. "And now they're both walking over—"

I was already up on my feet toward the door when Stellan came into view behind Jamie who looked inscrutable.

I was rooted on the spot, swallowing the sudden lump in my throat as Stellan surveyed the entire area without once glancing at me directly.

"Should I stay?" was all Jamie asked, looking at me with the rest of his question.