XII. Serious Talk

Start from the beginning

"... Did he tell you that?"

"He didn't have to tell me. It's obvious in the way he looks at you, the way he talks about you. You're his most prized possession Nuri Hart." 

I held  myself up on the elbows and looked back at him. "So his heart attack? You think I might have something to do with his stress?"

"Don't get all up in arms sweetheart. I'm just saying that he's in another country, his daughter, his only daughter, is living on her own not married." He shrugged. "Like any father with a daughter, he just wants to know that you'll be safe."

I sat up completely and turned in the bed so that I was facing him. "It makes sense you know," I admitted. My mother, she lets it all hang out. If she feels a certain way about something, it will be known to everyone in the vicinity. My father though, he internalizes things, let's them fester until they explode all at once."

"I can see that," Nathaniel nodded. "He's just like every other man."

Nathaniel couldn't internalize his feelings even if he tried, so I'm sure he was't including himself in the every other man category. I didn't say this to him of course.  "So you think I should come here, visit more often maybe?"

"That and get married to someone who will protect you and give him a lot of grand children." He said it boldly without blinking or flinching. "Someone who's right in this bed with you at the moment," he added.

Why couldn't he be afraid of commitment like all the other men out there in the world? Why did he have to be so willing to jump into the shackles of marriage and family life? He's a C.E.O. for Christ's sake.

This is the second time he's mentioned marriage and kids and I can barely shake it off as a silly joke like I did the last time he said it. I know he's serious. I know this is what he wants and I'm not too sure the next time he mentions it, it'll be as some offhanded joke.

I looked down at my nails because looking into his eyes was proving some feat. "I'll visit more often. Twice, maybe even three times during the year, and I'll stay for longer periods of time."

"Well that - -,"

"Two weeks at a time maybe. I might be able to get some new ideas for designs while I'm here."

"That's good too and- -,"

I got out of bed and took to pacing. "My mother did say she has some projects she wanted to work on. I could help her out. I'm sure I can fly them up a couple times throughout the year."

Nathaniel was out of bed too and stood directly in front of me, his hands resting on mine keeping me in place. "Will you calm your crazy ass down," he said. "I'm not going to ask you to marry me tonight. Damn!"

My shoulders fell and I shook my head, "I didn't say you were going--,"

He lifted his head and looked down his nose at me. "Nuri, please. Pacing around, not letting me get a word in. I know what the fuck you're doing."

He nodded when I kept shaking my head.

"Relax baby. I'm not going to ask you to marry me sweetheart."

My soul sighed.

"Not yet anyway." He touched his lips to mine in a tender kiss. "Besides, I know you're not ready yet. If it were up to me you'd be Mrs. King tomorrow if I knew you were ready."

How did we get on this topic?

"When you are ready I'll ask. So, expect it."

I walked out of his hold and went back to the bed for a seat. "I'm sorry I just. . .,"

"I know. You don't have to say it baby. I know." He was at my feet kneeling before me that adorable smile at his lips. "My crazy ass ex wife still out there, and everything that just went down with Cassius, your father. I get it. We need time to heal."

"Your son." I added because he left that part out. 

His eyes widened. "My son?" He was angry now.

"Junior. The woman at the coffee shop had a boy with her. He looked so much like you King. His eyes." I touched my fingers to his eyebrows. "There was something so familiar about them. I didn't pick up on it before, but I see it now. You have a son. A family."

He shook his head and encircled my waist. "You're all the family I need baby. If he's my son, and trust me when I tell you it's one big ass if, then he'll be mines and yours if you'll have us."

"And your Emma, what about her?"

"Don't call her that, she ain't my fucking Emma. Not anymore." He rested his head on my lap. "You're mine. The only person I can surely say is mine, is you baby. Nothing else matters."

I wasn't entirely convinced that she didn't matter, with her initials inked all on his back still. And if Junior was his son, the boy only knew his mother. I wouldn't accept him taking a child from his mother, if that is what he meant by 'nothing else matters'.

Running my fingers through his hair, I shook my head. As my mother would often say, 'Give it to God'. So I gave it to Him.

*

The next day went by so quickly, and since Nathaniel and I spent the day apart, I was able to really think things through. He went off fishing with my father and some of his old time army friends, while my mother and I did a tour of the town. 

While she ran her errands, I lingered around sketching designs and ideas for her new project. By the end of it all, I wanted to stay and help her out with everything, but Nathaniel wouldn't have that.

We stopped at an outdoor lunch spot for a meal. While we waited for our order, I went through my email and my mother looked over my sketches. 

There were so many requests for an editor, more than usual, and Naomi kept me updated every couple of hours with her progress. Things were on schedule without a hitch in sight and I felt the tense feeling float up and away.

Once our waiter set the food down before us, everything was put away and we held hands and said grace before digging in. 

Once we arrived home, dinner was served and the four of us sat and had family time. It was just right, and not anything like what I expected it to be. Nathaniel charmed my father and mother, just as he did with me and I know they were looking forward to the day we made it all official.

Once it was time to leave them, they drove with us to the Airport and we said our goodbyes. 

I held on to my father for few more seconds than necessary and kissed his cheek. "Don't you go having  more episodes Daddy," I warned him. "You can't up and leave me before your time."

"I know baby." He kissed my forehead than whispered, "Don't you keep that man waiting. He's one of the good ones."

"Dad," I wined.

"I'm serious girl. I like the boy. He loves you and I can't ask for more than that."

"Yes daddy."

Nathaniel and I switched parents and I took my mother's welcome bear hug. She pulled back fixed my hair and laughed. "Look at my sweet girl," she cooed. "You all grown up now and really doing big things."

"Doing my best mommy."

"Well, do come back soon, and make sure you bring the C.E.O. with you. I like him."

"Okay dad," I snorted and kissed her cheek.

        With on final goodbye, we went through checking and security and were quickly gone and away from my parents as we headed the plane. I couldn't wait to see them again, and was feeling the nostalgia already.