4 - The Adventure Begins

Once the two had made it back, they had to sneak past the receptionist. It wasn't that late to them, but it was past their 9pm curfew. They tiptoed to Hange's room, then silently clicked the door shut.

"So what's your plan?" Levi asked, unwrapping his scarf and removing his shoes. She motioned for him to follow her to her desk, to which he obliged. He sat down on her chair, as she scooted under her bed and felt around for the shoe box. When she opened it, she revealed her old diary, as well as thin paper sheets and a map of Tokyo. She handed all this to Levi, then rushed to her wardrobe, climbing to the back. She revealed a metal money box, then placed that on the desk. Levi was looking over the map - he noticed how Shinjuku was circled, and an arrow coming out of the circle was labelled 'Takadanobaba'.

"Hange, why did you write Takadanobaba next to Shinjuku?"
"You can rent cheap rooms there and it's a nice neighbourhood."
"When did you find the time to research this?" Levi said, as he marvelled at everything she had written out. Hange chuckled, as she drew her curtains.
"Wait so our plan is to just...get out of here, rent a room and then what? What about school and our meals?"
"Well, I was planning on getting a part-time job and studying in the city."
"Okay...do you know how to transfer schools?"
"Yeah, there's a bit of paperwork involved but I'll figure it out."

They both paused - silence loomed over the room, and they both shared a moment of eye contact.

"So when do we leave?"
"If you're game, tonight."
Levi stood up from his chair, then whacked the top of Hange's head with her diary.

"Of course, I'm game," Levi said, picking his scarf up and opening her bedroom door.
"Meet me here in fifteen minutes with your stuff," Hange ordered with a wave.

Levi scrambled down the hallway to his own bedroom, then grabbed his PE duffel bag. He neatly folded what clothes he had, but left his uniform in it's wardrobe, neatly pressed. He rummaged through his drawers, grabbing his toothbrush, toothpaste, comb and cologne. His own savings box was tucked away safely with the one memory he had of his parents - a worn photograph. He took both items in his hands, then carefully placed them underneath his clothes in the duffel bag. Hange's scarf was on the bed, so he wrapped it around his neck, then zipped up a black puffer. Taking one final glance at the bedroom he had grown up in, he softly shut the door and headed back to Hange's room.

Hange on the other hand had messily shoved all her belongings into her duffel bag and sneakily grabbed the bento boxes, which she'd packed the night before, from the fridge. She stuffed these into her tattered rucksack, then checked off the list of essentials in her diary, hurriedly.

"Hey four-eyes, you ready?"
"Yeah, just gimme two minutes, I gotta get some sanitary supplies from the top of the wardrobe."
"Can you even reach up there?"
"Ahaha, says you," she sarcastically remarked, as she climbed on top of a wooden chair to reach her lady things.

"Done?"
"Yeah, let's go."

Once the two had snuck out through their window, they scurried back to the train station, and boarded the first train to Shinjuku.

"I can't believe we're doing this! It's like our own mini adventure!" Hange exclaimed excitedly, once they were seated. Levi didn't say anything about it, but he was also thrilled to start afresh and with his best friend.

It had always been the two of them through everything, whether it was the most ickle of things, they'd do it together. Hange foraged through her rucksack, grabbed her Polaroid and put her arm round Levi.
"Smile, Levi!" It wasn't in his nature to smile, but he looked at the lens either way. Hange used her fingers to pull his cheeks up, then goofily grinned into the lens.

"This is the first memoir of our journey," she squealed. "Keep it safe, Levi."
"What, why me?"
"You know how I am with stuff, I misplace everything. I'm surprised I didn't lose you with how tiny you are~"
He groaned, before snatching the photo out of her hand and tucking it away into the inner pocket of his puffer jacket. Hange was full of energy, rambling on about their future in the city.

'This is gonna be a long ride,' Levi thought, leaning against Hange's shoulder as his eyelids grew heavy and sleep took over. 

*****

A/N: Wow guys, thanks for all your support and kindness towards this story! I really appreciate all the comments, votes and reads. 

Shout out to @MalaikaM18, @Genessys101, @lamiya_m347, @Lunasanex, 
@YuiMatsu and @piece_of_garbage_13 for your encouragement!!