Chapter Twenty Three

Katsuki started to move towards Izuku. Inside his head, he could hear Ochako yelling for him. But not matter what he could do, he had no control over his own body.

"Katsuki, snap out of it-" Izuku kept fending for himself. Katsuki's explosions were dangerous. The power of Izuku's sword was able to defend himself.

(I can't fight back!) Izuku kept trying to focus. (If I do, I'll hurt him!)

Ochako grabbed Katsuki's arm and made them both float, then released so that her and Katsuki were sitting on the floor. She put herself in between him and Izuku, using herself to block his view of him. "Hey! Katsuki! Can you hear me?"

"Attack her too," Hitoshi commanded. He then focused his power on Shoto to give him a message. "Attack the girl with you."

Katsuki's movements were emotionless. His hand extended towards Ochako. (No... Stop...!)

His power emitted out towards her. Izuku tried to help defend her, but he only halved the damage from the explosion.

Katsuki was screaming in his mind due to the fact that Ochako was hurt regardless.

After hearing that, Momo tried to go towards Hitoshi. (He's controlling them somehow. I must go to the source and-)

She was stopped by Shoto. He had a rough hold on her wrist. His hand started to heat up with his fire powers. (He has some sort of brainwashing quirk! How to break free from it though?)

He thought about the quirks that he knew. That's right. One could be broken out of brainwashing if they were out through a significant amount of pain.

Yet something unexpected happened. Shoto managed to pry his hand away from her wrist. It was hard to keep himself from harming her. He couldn't keep it up for long. His hand reached out for her throat.

"Ah!-" Momo felt Shoto's hand tighten against her neck. Her airway was being blocked as she was starting to choke.

Izuku saw what was happening. (This isn't good!)

He couldn't get to where Momo and Shoto are as he was occupied himself with fending off Katsuki.

Katsuki kept endlessly attacking. He struggled inside of his mind not to hurt Ochako again. He helplessly watched himself aim to attack her once again. This was pure torture. (I'd rather be the one to be harmed...! Just stop me!)

Ochako was crying at that point. She had burn marks visible on her skin. It was gradually getting more difficult to keep dodging his attacks. She made herself float over his head so that she was behind him, but as she was preparing to reach out to him again he had already turned around. She flew backwards with the force of the attack.

Izuku helped break Ochako's fall so she wouldn't be harmed.

(She's crying again...I can't...) Katsuki felt so ashamed and resentful towards himself. With all of his might, he tried to get himself to stop. His hand was actually starting to shake towards Ochako. They could see him struggling not to attack again.

(He's trying to break free...we have to help him!) She thought.

Shoto was starting to activate his ice powers with his hand on Momo's neck. (Quit it!) He cursed at himself in his mind. (Don't hurt her!)

He pulled his hand away again. His eyes started to clear up.

Hitoshi noticed. "Huh? How...?"

He tried to use his brainwashing again, but it was hard enough to keep a grip on Katsuki's mind when he was struggling.

Momo felt an cold lingering sting on her neck. She was coughing and gasping for air.

"I'm sorry, Momo..." Shoto looked back at Katsuki and the others. "The way to break out of his quirk is to bring significant pain to the affected person. I was able to break free, but Bakugo is too emotionally vulnerable right now!"