Chapter 1

(A/N. Warning: This story contains swearing. Quite a lot of it at some points. Sorry if you don't like that. Also I will not be taking suggestions as I have it all written and finished. Please don't expect this to be a very descriptive story as I started it when I was very inexperienced.)

''Saige Jackson.''
I looked up at the maths teacher, unimpressed, abandoning the marker I was using to draw on my arm.
''What?''
Her eyes narrowed as she used her thirty centimetre ruler to point at the sum on the whiteboard.
''Do you know the answer to this question?''
Giving her a sweet smile, I leaned forward, resting my hands on the wooden table.
''No, teacher. I don't know the answer. That's why my hand wasn't raised.''
She sighed, rubbing her temple and closing her eyes. She does this quite often.
''Try to figure it out now.''
''I don't want to.''
''Just do it, Saige.''
''I don't know.... Thirteen?''
''Not quite.''
Rolling my eyes, I focused on the sum, which looked a bit like this:
C=104-32/1.8
''Is it 40 ?''
''Good. See, you can do it.''
''Lucky guess...'' They guy next to me muttered, clearly bitter that I got it right.
''It's not a guess if it's correct, now is it?'' I replied cheerfully.

''Hola, Saige.'' My Spanish teacher greeted me, not seeming happy.
I nodded at her, acknowledging her presence, and took my seat. Ah, last class of the day. Finally, I'll be able to get out of here.
''Hey. Saige.''
I looked behind me, towards the person speaking to me. My cousin, Elias, glanced up from his paper, pointing his pen at me.
''What's the answer to question ten?''
''I don't know, dude. I don't pay attention in class.''
''You're hopeless. Anyway, you want to go to the park or somewhere after this?''
''Can't. I have work.''
''Oh right. I'll walk you there, in that case.''
''Sure. Sounds good.''
He looked above my head, rubbing the back of his head. I rolled my eyes, turning around. Sure enough, Ms Murphy stood there, her arms crossed over her chest, her eyes cold yet satisfied that she has an excuse to yell at me.
''From all this talking, I assume you're done.''
''From all this complaining, I assume you're single.''
Several people gasped. Others coughed, hiding their laughter. The rest simply kept their heads down, ignoring what I said. Ms Murphy herself turned a bright shade of red, gesturing to the door.
''Saige Jackson, principal's office!''
''With pleasure. I'll meet you outside, Elias.''
He gave me a small smile as I grabbed my back and made my way down the stairs, through the corridor, to the principal's office.
''Back again, Saige?'' The secretary asked, barely even looking up.
''Yeah. Though I didn't do anything.''
''Of course  you didn't. Well, go ahead.''
Stepping into the familiar office, I fell down onto one of the red chairs that stood in front of the desk, throwing my bag down on the carpeted ground and slinging my legs over the arm of the chair.
''Hey, Ethan.'' I greeted the principal, taking out a small mirror and fixing my makeup.
''Saige...''
''I mean, good evening, Mr Walsh.''
''Better. Now, why are you here?''
''I just inquired, very politely, if Ms Murphy is currently in a relationship.''
''Really?''
''...I told her the reason she's still single is because she complains too much.''
''Saige, you really need to behave. You're in my office at least once a week and even if you're not, I hear the students saying that you insult or upset them. You've been in detention ten times and the school year is only half over.''
I resisted the urge to tell him that if the students would stop pissing me off, I wouldn't have to insult them and the teachers that give me detention just don't seem to have a sense of humour. Instead, I settled for the safe option.
''I'm sorry, Mr Walsh.''
''If I hear that you've been causing any trouble for the staff or students of this school one more time, I'm afraid I'll have no choice but to expel you.''
I frowned, growing warmer as the anger built up inside me.
''You know what? Fine. I don't need this. I'm leaving this hellhole.''
I marched out, pushing past the students that refused to get out of my way. Elias was outside, writing in his notebook as he leaned against the grey metal railing. I grabbed his arm, pulling him along, away from the red brick building.
''Hey, what happened?'' He asked, worry and caution in his voice.
''I got expelled.''
''Seriously? What are you gonna do?''
''Nothing. There were only like five months left of school anyway.''
''What are you going to do for work?''
''I like working at GameStop. Hold on a second.''
I released him, pulling my blue sweater over my head and stuffing it in my bag, before pulling up my skirt a few centimetres, throwing my tie over my shoulder and unbuttoning the first two buttons of my white school shirt.
''There. Much better.'' I nodded, pulling the black ribbon out of my hair, allowing it to fall around my face freely.
''Saige, you can't work at GameStop forever.''
''Maybe not. But by the time they fire me I'll either be insane enough to go to an asylum or old enough to go to a retirement home.''
''And you know this how?''
''I'll make sure that's how it works out.''
''At least you have a plan.. I suppose.''
I turned to look at him as we reached our destination.
''Oh, I always have a plan.''
''Usually a terrible one but lets not get started on that.''
''Yeah, whatever. Thanks for walking with me, by the way.''
''No problem. I'll talk to you later. Have a nice day at work... Samara.''
''...Never call me that unless you want to die, Elias.''
''Sorry, sorry. Love you.''
''Yeah, love you too...''
I kissed his cheek grudgingly, pushing him away and entering the familiar shop. My best friend and co-worker, Zack, smiled, pulling me in for a warm hug.
''Hey, Zack.''
''Hi, Saige, How was your day?''
''Pretty good actually. I got expelled.''
''Oh Saige. You just naturally cause trouble, don't you?''
''Yeah. I can't seem to help it. Anyway, how's Steven?''
''He's fine. He's helping this elderly lady who lives near us. Oh, we went to see that movie you suggested.''
''And? What did you think?''
''You didn't mention that it was a horror movie.''
''Um, sorry?''
''You're not sorry at all, you evil girl.''
''That's totally true.''
We stood in silence for a few minutes, me rearranging the games on the display, him sitting on the counter, playing something on his phone, until he broke the silence by saying:
''When are you going to get a boyfriend?''
This took me by surprise, and it took me a moment to recover from my shock and answer.
''Why? Are you trying to ask me out?''
''You wish. It's just that if you had a proper boyfriend-not some guy you're just playing around with- then we could go on double dates. It's be fun, right?''
''I don't know, Zack. I just don't think I'm ready for an actual, serious relationship just yet.''
''Maybe you just haven't met the right guy.''
''Yeah. Maybe.''
I turned my attention to the two guys who entered the store, slapping Zack's hand away as he poked my cheek.
''Hi, how can I help you?''
The man with blue eyes and a green Link hat on top of his blonde hair smiled, approaching me.
''Can you recommend any good games?''
''Depends. What are you looking for?''
''Anything, really. What do you like?''
''Minecraft is pretty cool and good for killing a few hours. Outlast is a great horror game, or Silent Hill, which is just a classic. The Legend of Zelda games are also pretty fun. Difficult but worth playing.''
He nodded happily, as if I passed a test or something. His friend-who was incredibly pale with deep black hair, a white hoodie, sunglasses, and a scarf covering his mouth- sighed.
''Come on, BEN. Lets go already.''
''Fine. Anyway, thanks. You've got a good taste in video games. I'll see you around, Saige.''
He winked, handing me one of the games I was arranging back after reading the back of it, and left.
''Did you seriously make me come here with you for this? You didn't even buy anything!'' His friend snapped.
''Well its not as if you had anything better to do. Besides, she's cute. I wanted to see what video games she likes.''
''Ugh, whatever. Just come on.''
Zack turned to me, pushing my arm as I passed him.
''He was totally flirting with you.''
''He was just asking what games I like. No big deal.''
''Yeah. Sure. Why don't you go get his number?''
''Because I don't know him and don't want to know him?''
''Come on. He could be the sweetest guy in the world.''
''Or he could be a total douchebag.''
''Do you want to be alone forever?''
''Zack, you're my best friend and I love you with all my heart but please understand that I am not interested in dating anyone.''
''Ok, ok. I respect your decision.''
''Thank you. Now get back to work.''

After I did my time and was allowed to return home, I sat beside the window in my small apartment, looking up at the stars in the sky. Maybe I should get a hobby. I'm going to have a lot of free time, after all. Ugh, I'll think of all that later. I'm tired now.
Sighing, I lay down on the mattress, not bothering to get a blanket. It's not cold anyway. And the blankets are all the way in the bathroom, which feels so far away. It'd be too much effort to walk all the way there and back. I tossed and turned for an hour, unable to relax before finally settling down.
...That's strange. Judging by how chilly it suddenly is, I'm guessing that the window's open. I swear I closed it. Oh, well, whatever. It doesn't matter. A little fresh air never killed anyone.
''Go to sleep...''
I stiffened, hearing a deep voice beside me. Keeping my eyes closed and my breathing even, I slowly reached up under my pillow, where I keep a spare pair of scissors in case of emergencies, careful not to move too much.
''Hey, I was sleeping until you woke me up. Now you're telling me to go back to sleep. Make up your damn mind.'' I replied, a slight hostile tone in my voice.
There was a second of silence, with only the sound of a ticking clock and the traffic outside to remind me that this is reality. Then the person who broke into my apartment laughed, apparently standing up as I heard the sound of fabric rustling.
''You're interesting. I guess I don't have to kill you right now.''
''Oh thanks. I really appreciate it.''
''Sarcastic, aren't you?''
''Just a little... Wait, why am I even talking to you? Get out.''
''I'm going. Sleep well. I'll see you later, Saige.''
I could see him move to the window, climbing out and jumping to the ground. How did he know my name? Wait.... I just realised something. That man, he sounds like the guy from earlier, like one of the guys who came to GameStop. Not the one, with the Link hat. The other one...
No. It's probably just my imagination messing with me. Who knows, this may even be a dream. Either way, I need to get some sleep.  Hopefully by the time morning comes, I'll have forgotten all about this whole thing.