Chapter Fifteen: Firsts

Start from the beginning

"Of me?"

Thell shrugged. "Not really. You intimidated me more than anything. At that point, everyone intimidated me, but I knew if I wanted to survive, I would have to take a step into that fear. So, I did." She turned to face Din, looking directly into his visor. "And I'm really glad I did."

He stared back at her, and Thell blinked, letting her smile fade as she could only stare back at his visor. It hadn't really hit her, not until then, that she had never seen his face, not even a glimpse of his bare skin. She didn't know who was under the mask; she could only guess what he looked like from him telling her what color his hair and eyes were. But that was never enough to go off of. Her heart desperately wished to see him, to run her fingers over his face, to finally be able to kiss him. As much as she respected him, she hated the ways of the Creed and how his strict beliefs kept his face from her.

"Hey," he said softly to get her attention.

Thell shook her head, clearing her vision. "What?"

"What's wrong?"

"I..." Thell started. "I respect you, you know that? And I understand why you believe the things you do.... But Din. I've known you for months now, and yeah, I know we're still getting to really know each other. But we've risked our lives for each other, and for the kid. And... some days I don't even think about it; it doesn't even bother me. But some days... some days I just wish I could see your face."

He went still, like he had been frozen in carbonite, and Thell swallowed nervously.

"I... I swore the Creed, Thell."

"I know," she said quickly. "I know you did, and I really respect that. I'm not asking you to break the Creed. I just... wanted you to know. Because I think about it a lot, and I just wish I could know who's under that helmet of yours."

"Why?" He said, cocking his head. "Because you're aching to see how ugly I actually am?"

Thell gaped, staring back at him astounded, and rolling her eyes. "Yeah, sure, Din. Because I'm just a heartless person who enjoys relishing in the inconsiderate judgement of others." She leaned into him, trying to push him over but barely causing him to flinch. "I'm sure you aren't ugly. Whatever you look like under the mask, I'm sure I'll like you just the same. Your appearance doesn't determine that for me. I liked you because of your character, after all."

"Oh, yeah?" Din asked. "What if I told you I was really old?"

Thell scrunched her face up. "Not gonna get me with that one, chief. You're very active, and you don't act like an old person. I wouldn't say you're much older than me... right?"

Din shrugged. "Probably... Honestly, though, you may never want me to take off the helmet again once you see me."

Thell scoffed. "Din! C'mon! Take me seriously when I say that I won't be disappointed at all. I respect that it's your Creed, but... if you ever have any reason to take it off in front of me, and you want me to look, you just say the word. I'll respect you regardless, and I'll still like you. I swear."

Din looked at her for a moment before slinging an arm around her waist, tugging her right up against him so her thigh pressed to the Beskar attached to his leg. She laughed under her breath, resting her head on his shoulder as his hand moved up and down her back. They watched the stars in silence, letting the calmness of the planet wash over them.

When Thell was ready, she leaned back, looking directly at the Mandalorian.

"Can I ask you something, though?" She said quietly.

"Sure."

"Can you take off your glove?" When he didn't move or respond, Thell squeezed his arm. "It's not like you're showing your face. But if you really don't want to, you don't have to."