Praise | 5

▐░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▌

▐░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▌

Many days had gone by and you tried your hardest to avoid Light. He approached you surprisingly often lately, but you attempted to stay away from him while making it look natural and like you're not purposely trying to get away from him.

Away from the fact your friend had committed mass murder, good news was you got into To-Oh University. But of course with good news always came bad news and bad news was, when you were taking entrance exams, you saw Light there also. You both shared a couple words before you made an excuse to leave.

Back into the present, you were getting ready to go to the entrance ceremony. Well, it wasn't really your choice. Your mom forced you to go, and you tried to convince her for you not to go, because you knew you would see Light there, but needless to say, she saw through your bullshit and told you to go anyway.

You honestly wanted to wear a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt and leave but you knew you couldn't and wore a simple black dress that went up to your knees with not-too-tall-high-heels. You didn't do anything too dramatic for makeup and did a simple look.

"(Y/N) are you ready yet?!" Your mother yelled unnecessarily loud.

"Yeah! Just give me a sec!" You looked in the mirror and checked if you had everything.

Once you were sure you had everything you walked downstairs with a unamused look written on your face. You weren't excited at all for this.

As soon as your mom saw you, her jaw went slack. There were practically stars dancing in her eyes as she looked at you.

"You look so good, honey!"

You would never be caught dead wearing something like this, so it's basically a miracle that your currently wearing what you're wearing.

"Yeah," You stretched out the "eah" with a humourless look on your face "can we go now?"

"Oh, wait! Let me take a picture first!" Your mom started searching frantically for her phone and a couple seconds after she found it.

"Yeah, I'd rather not." You just wanted to get all this over with and go to the ceremony then go home.

"Say cheese!"

You just stood there, a fed-up expression.

"Eh, whatever. It's better than nothing." Your mom muttered as she put her phone back in her pocket.

"Let's get going now." You honestly felt like your mom was more excited for the ceremony than you were— no scratch that, she was more excited than you were.

You wanted to go home. Yeah, you were only there for like thirty minutes but you were already fed-up with everything and wanted to leave.

You felt a tap on your shoulder, disrupting your inner monologue.

"Hey, (Y/N), I haven't spoke to you in a while," There he was. The man you've been trying to avoid for like, the past month. "how are you?"

Your eyes widened but you quickly went back to your normal expression. You weren't trying to cast suspicion.

"I'm good, thanks for asking." You put up a strained smile. "What about you?"

You actually didn't give a shit on how he was doing, you just wanted to leave as soon as possible.

"I'm good," He did a smile on his disgusting face. "Whenever we speak to each other you always end up excusing yourself, it almost makes me think you're trying to avoid me." He joked with a small chuckle at the end.

His eyes had a weird glint in them when he said those words. Is it possible he already knows that I'm avoiding him?

You covered it up with a laugh, "Haha, nah, I wouldn't do that." You tried to look as believable as possible.

"Sorry, I have to go now, but I hope to see you around later." He said as he waved goodbye

You waved back with a tiny smile formed on your lips.

Thank God.

That felt like the scariest moment in your life. At this point, you aren't completely certain he isn't aware you're avoiding him.

You were literally petrified, if he knows I'm avoiding him, he'll probably assume I think he's Kira. Then boom he'll probably murder me for knowing too much.

This wasn't any normal situation you were in here, your life is on the line.

You just wished your curiosity never got the best of you and you never decided to look into this case. Well, I guess this is your punishment for not minding your own business.

"Now for our freshman representatives, Light Yagami,"

You saw Light stand up with his eyes closed and a calm look.

"And Hideki Ryuga."

A guy with dark circles and black hair wearing a white shirt and jeans stood up. Oh, he was that one guy who got in trouble for sitting incorrectly. And now that you looked at him, you realized he was also that guy who you bumped into at the candy isle while you were getting groceries!

They both walked onto the stage and prepared for the speech they were going to give.

You saw Light flash a smile at you and you just gave a tiny smile back and quickly looked away.

You were caught up in your thoughts and weren't really paying attention so you when you heard everyone clapping because the speech was over you just joined them in clapping even though you didn't hear anything they said.

When they got off the stage and took their seats, you couldn't help but notice Ryuga saying something quiet to Light that made him stiffen and go pale, but go back to normal a couple seconds after.

Light is usually a calm and composed person, so you found it weird that a man you've never seen Light hang around with, say something to make him go into such shock. Could it be that Ryuga knows Light is Kira or has something to do with it?

No. It can't be. Any normal person would look at Light and see a perfect, charismatic, intelligent young man. But then again, Ryuga doesn't look like an average person.

Jeez, you're overthinking things again. This is exactly the reason why you got into this mess in the first place.