burger king

i really didn't think he was going to stay the whole time. but, he did. the painting was going to take a few days at least, which means i'd have to go back to this idiots house. but the bigger problem was, i wasn't going to be able to afford to eat for a few days.

i tried to ignore the stomach cramps i had, hoping that i wouldn't pass out or anything. how long had i been here? at least four hours. alex wasn't as terrible as i thought, his talking was almost a nice distraction from the constant worrying of what i was going to eat next.

"are you hungry? kinda want burger king. you could use a break, too." he says with a yawn. 

"uh, sure." i say, trying not to sound too desperate. 

he sits up and waves me over. "lets go!" 

"oh like now?" i put my brush down.

"yeah, c'mon!" alex shouts with even more energy. i really hate how excited he is. he's like a puppy.

i grunt and get up, following him because i didn't know how to get out of this huge ass house. i hoped this kid had a car.

he takes me outside and walks me to the drive way. there was a decently nice car parked and he opened the passenger door for me. 

"oh, uh, thanks." i say, surprised by the gesture. alex gets in the driver seat and starts it up. the car smells faintly of fast food and cologne. he starts driving down his street, turning the radio on. 

we listen to some shitty pop song in silence. i wasn't good with talking to people, especially people who didn't have anything in common with me.

"so, what do you do for work?" he taps the steering wheel.

"this, pretty much." i sigh, looking out the window. unlike mine, his car windows were clean, so i took the opportunity to admire the buildings that passed.

"that's cool. do you like it?" alex sounded genuine when he asked, like he actually cared.

"i like to paint. i'm good at it. i just wish it paid more." i answered honestly. after i finished the dumb mural, i wouldn't see this kid again, so i don't see the harm in sharing a little more than i usually do.

"i get that. it's rare that people get to do what they love and get paid for it." i don't know how to respond, so i don't.

"what do you want?" he asks me. 

"oh, whatever you get, i guess." i don't know how to act like i know what this place even sells. 

"you've never been here before, haven't you?" he catches my bluff. 

"i haven't." i admit as he pulls into the drive through.

"can i ask you something personal?" he says after a few moments of silence.