Chapter 1: Principium

Start from the beginning

"Dead."

Silence.

"Ah come on, don't be so sad!" Your brother said. "We gave up looking for Minerva a while ago. What's up with you guys though?"

"We're--" A taller boy with copper skin began.

"AH, hold it. You're from Grace Field and escaped a week ago, didn't you?"

At this point, you zoned out of whatever nonsense was spewing out of your brother's mouth. Instead, you observed the posse of kids that had entered your shelter. They all seemed worse for wear, probably from days spent trekking through the insanely dangerous demon forest. Many of the little children seemed relatively unharmed, albeit tired and scratched up. The four older children looked more banged up than the younger ones. You made a mental note to treat their benign wounds as soon as possible, the medic and caretaker in you kicking into gear.

You were brought back into the conversation when you heard your name said by Yuugo. "We were the only survivors. (Y/N) and I were the only two able to survive. But I alone figured out the trick to stay alive these 13 years--drop the dead weight."

"Comrades equals dead weight. Hope equals dead weight. Caring equals dead weight."

You looked sadly at Yuugo. You knew he beat himself up for what had happened to your family. You knew he didn't really mean what he said right now to reason with their deaths. Nevertheless, you were tired of this. You stood up, ready to counter his points, but were beaten by the redhead.

"You're WRONG!" She banged her hands on the table. In a split second, your brother had gripped her and held a gun to her temple.

"Wait a minute!" You cried out. "Don't do this!"

"Hand it over, your pen. I'll keep it so y'all can never come back again. Sorry, but you'll have to leave." Your brother said. "Otherwise, you all are going to die right here."

Suddenly, the girl punched your brother in the groin and escaped from his grip and the kids ran out of the room. You sighed, looking over at your brother who was groaning in pain.

"He was bluffing! He didn't want to kill me, or anyone!" The redhead said. Your brother whipped out his pistol and fired a shot that nearly missed the girl and landed on the wall.

Hmph. You missed that on purpose, Yuugo--you're a great shot. You would never kill these children, huh. You knew your brother well. You knew he would never have murdered her, but sometimes his emotional state worried you.

"Well see? You just missed again!" The girl exclaimed and you scoffed in surprise, smiling at her. She was smart, and observant--she had figured Yuugo out like that.

"You don't want us around, but you don't wanna kill us either! You could've just killed us all right now! And you can't risk kicking us out and alerting the demons about this shelter, huh?

"Bullshit! The next one won't be a bluff! It'll be for real!! So leave now!"

"No." The redhead said. "We can't afford to leave, and we can't afford to give up our pen either. And my family isn't DEAD WEIGHT! Hope, comrades, caring ...all of those things are important!"

"No nononononono, nonono it's wrong, but..stop...nononono" Your brother began mumbling to himself and you rushed to his side, worried out of your mind. "YOU SHUT THE HELL UP LUCAS!"

You flinched as he yelled at you, assuming your presence to be your late brother Lucas's in his delusional state. His eyes softened when he saw it was you, and you smiled weakly. No matter how much he stated that comrades were dead weight (thus indirectly implying that you were too), you knew he cared about you and your late family as much as you did, if not more. He'd driven himself to the brink of insanity because of it.

"They're really awful..." he mumbled, standing up on the table and immediately slipped and knocking himself out cold. You turned him on his back and checked his pulse, and checked his head to see if a bump had formed or if there was any damage. You turned back to the kids, who were staring at Yuugo in bewilderment. Then their eyes whipped to you. The black-haired one and the ginger were eyeing you warily.

Fair enough. You probably seemed really suspicious, especially after not saying much and only moving to help your brother.

"Listen, I'm really sorry, again, about his behavior....he's just...it's complicated." You smiled as warmly as you could at the new arrivals. "But I'm--"

CLANG! And your world went black.

___________________

Taken from my Quotev! 

Hello everyone! This is a "The Promised Neverland" reader insert! I love this series and I'm excited to be writing for it. Hopefully I can actually finish this fic, but I'm still not finished with the manga yet so I'm not sure how long it will take to be completed. Just wanted to remind everyone that this is basically following the manga plot as of now and includes spoilers for anime-only watchers. Also: reader is 17 in this (January 2046), so they assume more of a caretaker role for the Grace Field kids.

Take it easy and happy holidays! <3 Bee