Chapter 29 : Are You Happy? (Ep. 2|Part 2)

Josie's POV

It's been a month of me and Landon hanging out and I stopped looking so intensely for information about The Merge. Ever since July 4th, we became closer. He actually is a pretty good company. Sometimes we would go into town and do normal teenage stuff. We played guitar and the ukulele in the park, Landon taught me how to play the guitar while I did the same with him for the ukulele. He also taught me how to play chess. Movie nights also became a regular occurrence. We would go to the wolf den and watch movies. Landon introduced me to the world of Star Wars and Lord of The Rings. Hanging out with him has been fun. But there's still something missing. There's still an empty feeling in my heart

Lizzie has also been constantly asking me about what me and Landon are doing. I tried my best not to answer her because I know I will have to deal with a very long interrogation and I don't want that. But she kept bugging me about it that I eventually gave in. And that's what I'm doing now, out in the fields telling Lizzie about my time with Landon.
"Songwriting? Stop. I can't take it anymore. Somewhere in Belgium. Penelope Park's black heart just exploded. You and Gizmo the Gremlin?" she asks "Actually, Gizmo's a Mogwai." I correct.
"Oh, God. He's got you speaking nerd."

"Relax. We're just friends." I reassure her.
"You are not friends. You're a montage."
"It's been...fun. It's been, like, actual fun."
"You know what's actual-actual fun? Mom and I taking the speed train to Rome for the weekend. So get your ass across the pond." There's also this. Since I stopped looking into The Merge Lizzie keeps trying to convince me to go to Europe. And as much as I want to I can't. I still have to watch over dad and I'm still trying to figure things out about why I still feel empty. And I do not want to hear any more of Lizzie convincing me. I drop the prism to make her disappear. "Love you." I just need to figure things out, that's all.

Hope's POV

Me and Clarke have been sticking together ever since we found out that the monster might come after us. It's not like we have a choice really. I wouldn't say we're partners, we just... need each other. And it doesn't hurt to have him for company. That way I at least won't go insane and start talking to myself. We also need the other to keep watch when we need rest. It's hard to keep track of time so we take turns taking guard when the other is tired. I don't want to admit it, but having Clarke is nice. I guess. But it could be better.
"How long do you think we've been here?" I ask. "Hard to say." he replies.
"A week? A month? A year? What difference does it make?" he asks.

Then a screeching noise can be heard from the distance and Clarke moves behind me. "What the hell was that?"
"Uh, a gargoyle, I think." I guess since the sound seemed very similar.
"I killed one once with my friends." Then I remember Josie. She was the one that helped me. God, I miss her so much.
"You know, my teenage friends. So why is a supervillain like you scared?" I ask.
Clarke walks beside me as he talks.
"I'm not a villain. I never have been. I'm just a kid who's afraid of his father and will do anything to get away from him. My entire life's been about figuring out how. And failing miserably." I feel bad for him. No one is ever born evil, they become that way because of everything they experienced.

Just like my dad. He was a good man but because of Mikael he became a monster. But all that matters was that he changed. And maybe Clarke can too.
"Papilio lux." I chant and a golden butterfly manifests and flies above Clarke. "You think that's our ticket out?"
"No. It's a comfort spell. It's, it's supposed to provide peace of mind." I reply. He smiles at me weakly.
"Thank you." Just then another vortex appears in front of us. Then it immediately disappears once Clarke holds my arm. "Why did you do that?"
"Do what?" Before I can clarify we hear
creatures snarling and then a dozen monsters appear in the distance.
"Oh, crap." we say in unison.