Chapter 1: Independence

Disclaimer: Pretty much the only thing I own is the storyline and maybe some Beys for characters whose Beys are never seen.

Shu's P.O.V. (First person)

"Let it rip!"

I watched Legend Spryzen fly across the stadium. I always used it, even when the other Bladers in other tournaments evolved theirs.

Valt's words rang in my ears.

Why are you always alone?

It's been four years since the game ended. Every thing is pretty much the same, except we all moved back to Beigoma.

Well, and us.

Horrible nightmares always haunt me. I don't want my friends to know, so I've closed myself off. It's the only way I can deal with it.

"Shu!" Valt shook my shoulder. "Wanna battle?"

"No," I answered curtly.

"Come on!" Valt complained. "Just one battle?"

"Where?" I asked carefully. Valt laughed nervously. "The Bey Club?" "No way," I told him. "Unless you want to do it here, forget about it. No spectators."

"Aw..." Valt said, shoulders slumping. "The others wanted to battle you too!" Really? I thought some of us weren't over the game's effects yet... Do they really want to see me?

Now you're not thinking rationally. They're your friends. Of course they want to see you.

"Alright," I gave in. "I'll come later."

Valt really hasn't changed too much. I suppose he's not thinking about it too much anymore... Am I overreacting? It's been four years... Why have I not gotten over it?

I shook my head to get rid of those thoughts. Don't think like that.

I picked up Spryzen and left Valt calling after me. "When will you come? Will it be soon? Did you change your mind. Shuuuu!"

Turns out, I came almost two hour later. That was because, for the first time in years, I had let the memories sneak in for more than a few minutes.

A flickering image of the main room. The running challenge that had sealed my fate. It all came surging back.

Do you remember? A voice asked me. This was Ashtem. He had spoken to my ghost right before Valt had defeated him. Remember Red Eye. He was powerful. He would have lived through this game. Are you powerful?

The memory stung like fire.

As I walked away, Ashtem had called, Go and run. Go find help. But don't believe your friends can help you. The only person you can rely on is yourself. And perhaps some of your minions. But I could not trust you.

Every single mistrust I've had about my friends, this had been the root of it. Every time.

That's just Ashtem, I told myself. You're not him.

And then I headed out my door.

Valt's P.O.V. (Third person)

Practice had been going on for thirty minutes before Shu showed up.

"Hey!" Valt called. 

Shu barely noticed him. He kept a blank expression on as he walked over to Valt. His face was incredibly pale, and as he walked closer, Valt realized he had been recalling the game.

"You alright?" Valt murmured.

His friend glared at him. "Fine," he mumbled. Shu turned and left straight after the battle.

"I thought he said he would battle us. All of us," Daigo said.

I know.

So why didn't he?