Part 19-"And so it begins"

Start from the beginning

Viktor, standing behind him, gave a chuckle "it doesn't need to be perfect, no one will see its fake in the dark"

Letting out a deep breath Freddie turned around "let's go"

The walk from Viktor's hotel to Mikhail's apartment was relatively short, but each step felt longer than the one before it, as nerves and adrenaline mingled together in a potent cocktail which was fuelling them  both.

What if he wasnt home? What if they couldn't place the small device in his phone? What if he didn't call Alex?

It was easy to be prepared for the expected, but quite the opposite for the unexpected.

Nearing the building, Freddie sped up. He kept thinking that the faster they got everything over and done with, the faster he would be back with Daisy.

Nothing was definite, but it was all he had.

The apartment was easily accessible with a small courtyard and a long flight of stairs.

Nine flight was not easy by any means, but somehow neither felt the burn in their thighs or the loss of breath as they passed each new level.

They stopped. 108. Viktor stood aside making himself invisible through the peephole, while Freddie removed his beard and shoved it inside the fedora hat.

He looked to Viktor then have three heavy knocks.

He closed his eyes, hoping the loss of sight would help him hear footsteps inside better, but all he could hear was his own heartbeat.

Footsteps.

"And so it begins" Freddie quietly said to himself.

"One moment" came a voice as it neared the door then stopped. The pause wasn't too long but long enough for Freddie to notice.

The door chain clicked open with the door following. Mikhael casually stood in a T-shirt and track pants which a tea towel hung over his shoulder.

"Freddie" he tried to add warmth into his voice but it was too obvious that he was surprised.

From beside Freddie, Viktor appeared.

Mikhael's face turned white as he clenched his fists "Viktor"

"May we come in Mikhael?" Freddie asked in a controlled politeness.

Stepping aside, Mikhael allowed them in despite wanting nothing more than to throw both off the railings.

"Nice place" Freddie remarked as he looked around the small apartment, which for a man who claimed to have no money and a very small wage at work, was extremely luxurious.

Mikhael acknowledged the compliment and lead the men into his living room, sitting both down on the couch.

Spotting the phone beside Mikhael on a round side table, the hard part was over. Now came the bull shit.

"Mikhael you're probably wondering why were here" Freddie began.

"It has crossed my mind" Mikhael leaned back while crossing his arms across his chest.

"After Daisy....died, Viktor came back and he asked me to help him find you"

"Why" Mikhael said dryly "you betrayed my father, you left him, after so many years you said nothing and left"

Viktor scooted forward in his seat "Mikhael you have been like a son to me all these years. I've helped raise you, believe me nothing bought greater sadness to my heart than to leave you. After your father died I wanted to come back to you so you wouldn't be alone but...I didn't know how you would receive it, but now that Daisy is gone also, I need to step up and do what's right"

Freddie gave a cough to hide his smile. Viktor executed his sob story even better than they had rehearsed and it came out perfectly.

Tilting his head, Mikhael fiddled with the armrest of the couch.

"You know" he began while looking down "I wanted to call you and tell you how sorry I was Freddie...Daisy was always so kind to me....her fate is terrible"

Is.Present tense, Freddie and Viktor both picked up on the slip but continued to say nothing.

"Thank you. I'm praying for the day her and I are reunited" Freddie replied sadly.

"In heaven" Mikhael added as though trying to cement further that Daisy was dead.

"Yes"

Rubbing his face vigorously, Mikhael looked up at Viktor. The conflict inside him was intense and heated. None of what happened would have if Viktor didn't leave and give all their money away, he would be living his lavish lifestyle in Russia still without needing to hold a fake job. His face eased and as predicted, he knew that praise would follow if he told his father where Viktor was.

"I've always admired you" he slowly confessed "you gave up everything for us"

"I'm so relieved to hear you say that"

"Let us celebrate this happy reunion, I'll bring Vodka" jumping to his feet he rushed to the kitchen.

That was easy Freddie thought.

With not a minute to spare, Freddie lunged at the phone and began to unscrew the phone to bug the line.

His hands shook, Viktor stood up and went into the kitchen to distract Mikhael from returning too soon.

Once Freddie felt confident, he carefully placed the receiver down and took his seat on the couch.

"Mikhael I'm afraid I'll only be able to have one drink, we're recoding tomorrow and I need a decent nights sleep" Freddie explained as Viktor and Mikhael returned into the room.

"Why of course I understand completely, just a quick shot"

The three lifted their shot glasses "here's to Daisy, may she rest wherever she is, and to Viktor" Mikhael turned to Viktor folding his gaze "may you live a long and happy life"

"Cheers!"