Chapter 34: Sweet Victory

Start from the beginning

★ ★ ★

The next day, the Gryffindor Quidditch team entered the Great Hall to a tumultuous applause. Of course, the Slytherin team didn't forget to boo when they passed by, but it didn't matter to Jessica and the others knowing that even Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw were supporting them.

Oliver spent the whole of breakfast urging his team to eat, but he himself didn't touch any food.

"We all need our energy today," he kept repeating while the team tried to scarf down eggs and sausages without their nerves getting the best of them. "Finish your meals. I'm going to head to the pitch early to check the weather conditions."

"You haven't eaten anything, though," Jessica said before he could stand up.

"I'm not hungry."

"You have to eat something, too."

"I'm fine —" Oliver started, only for Jessica to shove a buttered toast into his mouth. His eyes widened in surprise and he could see his teammates watching them eagerly, but he ignored them and finally bit down on the piece of bread.

"Aw, she fed our Ollie," Fred cooed as Jessica went back to eating her own breakfast, trying her best to avoid everyone's watching eyes.

"Remember when she got mad at Oliver for stealing her toast before?" George snickered. "But look how the tables have turned now."

"Well, they are dating now, after all," Angelina pointed out while Katie nodded in agreement. Jessica and Oliver blushed, not expecting her to casually bring that up. In fact, they hadn't even explicitly told the team that they were together because there was no point in announcing it. It seemed that the girls were more observant than they thought, though.

However, the twins clearly weren't aware of this piece of information. Fred dropped his fork while George spluttered on his pumpkin juice at what Angelina said.

"Wait, dating? For real?" Fred said incredulously.

"Wasn't it obvious?" Katie said in confusion. "We thought the whole team knew by now."

"I thought they were just flirting this whole time," George admitted, still looking shocked.

"Holy hipogriff, you two! I didn't think you guys were that oblivious. Even Harry knew, right?" said Angelina, nudging the bespectacled boy. Harry, who was barely paying attention, blinked in confusion and stared at his team.

"O-Oh, yeah, I did," Harry said, only partially telling the truth. He did see Oliver and Jessica holding hands on many occasions, but he honestly never gave it much thought.

Meanwhile, Oliver had finished quickly eating his food and badly wanted to make a run for it. He needed to check what the conditions were for that day's game. He sent a side glance at Jessica, almost as if to mentally ask when this torture would end. The girl could only shrug back helplessly in response while Fred and George continued to ramble on.

"Bloody hell, Georgie! Even Harry realized it before us."

"Now I feel stupid! When did this even start?"

"Before the holidays," Oliver answered simply to get it over with. "Now, I really need to go to the —"

"But how?"

"Why?"

"Lads!" Oliver raised his voice, finally getting up to his feet. "We have a game to win in a few minutes. Focus on that instead of interrogating us."

"But —"

"No buts!" Oliver stalked away. Once he was out of earshot, Fred and George turned back to Jessica.