Feyre

Seeing the female in front of me now, it began to make sense. Why she radiated such strength and knowledge. And power.

By the Cauldron, she was absolutely reeking of it. I'd witnessed a piece of that power days ago, and somehow I knew that wasn't all of it. But now, we could feel the full weight of it flowing beneath her skin. The untamable wildfire in her veins. I could practically taste it.

It made me thankful we seemed to be in her good graces. I would hate to see what happened to those on the other side. I'm sure all that would be left was ash, if that.

"There's absolutely no way you could be a queen," Cassian objected. "How old even are you?"

"Four hundred twenty three," she smiled. It was a conniving one, causing him to shrink back slightly.

"She's twenty one," Evangeline corrected, sticking her tongue out at the very young Queen, who promptly returned the favor.

"That's enough, both of you," Lysandra muttered. "I swear, I'm the only sensible one."

I almost argued that point, but closed my mouth instead. There was something about the Queen and the shifter that made me wonder what had happened to them. Underneath that thick layer of trust and friendship, there was still something broken. How had they come so far?

"Yes, we did hate each other for years," the blonde chuckled. I whipped around to face her. "I could see the question on your face. I've spent enough of my life reading people, but you are something of an open book."

I bristled at that, causing her to smirk. I was not easy to read.

You've improved over time, Feyre darling, Rhys praised gently. But, I'll admit, she's impressive.

I glared at him and offered a vulgar gesture in return.

"I can teach you the tools of the trade, if you wish," she continued. "Provided the world survives this encounter."

I went to ask her to explain, but she cut me off, telling us to wait until morning. Looking over at the clock, I realized that was likely a good idea. She must be beyond exhausted. I knew I would be.

So, we let them go without another word, staying quiet for several moments after. There were so many questions we needed to know, but even the others were unsure how to proceed. Aelin had not been very forthcoming about anything and I had a feeling if we pushed her, she'd be even more reluctant.

What concerned me the most was how Amren had recoiled from the small ring like it would kill her if she got too close. It looked harmless enough, despite the slight tang that radiated from it.

And looking over to the end table next to where Aelin had been sitting, I noticed it was still there. I walked over to it, staring at it as if it would begin talking to me.

"Stay away from that," Amren growled protectively.

"But what is it?" I grumbled. "No one's answered the question."

I could feel the darkness as my hand hovered above it. It was so much different than that of mine or Rhys'. A dull pounding thumped against the back of my skull and I dropped my hand.

"Not of this world," she replied tersely. "From a world filled with darkness and chaos. That young Queen might be our only hope of saving this world and the fate of all others."

"What do you know about her?" Mor inquired. Her eyes hadn't stopped scanning the room since Lucien had been taken away.

"Nothing," was her reply. "But she knows this enemy. We must listen to what she says."

And with that, she left without another word. I wanted to argue with her, but Rhys placed a hand over my forearm, both to keep me seated and to soothe my worry. I sent a gentle brush down the bond to tell him I was alright.

I knew he didn't believe me, but he did not push me to talk. He understood. We were in the dark once again, with the only link to the answers on unsure footing.

She had to help us. I would not let this world fall to darkness. Not again. We had sacrificed too much already.

The morning was surprisingly quiet. Even Elena barely made a sound. Aelin was very attentive and glared at anyone who got too close, except for Lysandra and Evangeline.

Mor was quickly accepted into their little group. I suspected it was due to her personality. I wished on the Cauldron they wouldn't break anything too important. Or delve too deeply into the rapidly declining stash of wine.

Once Elena was fully asleep, I started on what would likely be a lengthy discussion.

"Your majesty—"

Aelin broke off into a fit of laughter, carefully passing her daughter to Evangeline. The shifter rolled her eyes as the blonde wiped at nonexistent tears. Had I said something wrong?

"Finally, someone who has common sense," she smiled, her eyes twinkling mischievously. "Or, at the very least, manners."

"Does your self appreciation ever end?" the shifter groaned as she slumped against the back of the sofa.

"Not everyone is lucky enough to be as dazzling as me," she added, her grin only growing wider. Cassian choked on his drink and Mor howled with laughter. "Besides, who wouldn't want to be the definition of perfection?"

"I think you need to get your eyes checked," Lysandra snickered.

Aelin laid a hand over her heart. "You wound me. Maybe I shouldn't have let that dagger miss." The shifter hissed and Aelin swatted her. "Formalities need not be used, Feyre. Though I appreciate the thought. They tend to be a waste of time among friends."

I raised my eyebrows. She considered us friends?

"Need I remind you of how you make your own court use your many titles?" Lysandra argued.

"Only Aedion and Lorcan," she defended. "They deserve it. But, if we're going to be working together, I'll allow the lack of formalities. Especially for those who understand what it means to sacrifice what you love for a better world."

I couldn't believe this female. Mother knows she was stronger than she appeared. She truly cared for her world and the people in it. Perhaps she would be able to help after all.

"Will you help us with this threat?" Azriel asked.

He wasn't visible in the shadows, but Aelin picked him out nonetheless. "I swear on my life, as a Queen, I will help you destroy this darkness." Blood welled down a fresh cut on her palm. "But I cannot defeat her on my own. The risks I took last time will not work again. So, will you, Feyre Archeron, High Lady of the Night Court, follow me into the darkness? Become a torch against the night?"

I risked a quick glance at Rhys, who shrugged. Why hadn't she asked him?

Nonetheless, I held out my hand and clasped her bloodied one, which had already begun to heal. "I swear on my life, as High Lady and Protector of this Court, that I will follow you. We will destroy this darkness together and bring about peace."

A twin set of tattoos slithered up each of our arms. The deal was struck.

She looked at the tattoo curiously, though I could have sworn there was a bit of longing. A symbol appeared on her forehead, glowing bright blue.

"Then let's rattle the stars."